Bike chain

Thanks for your prompt response. I couldn’t read KMC but a quick search for KMC X12 brought up a picture that’s identical.

Thanks for your prompt response. I couldn’t read KMC but a quick search for KMC X12 brought up a picture that’s identical.
Sorry if my response was somewhat abrasive it wasn't intended to be and was written in good humour with a smile.

Helps that I fitted one yesterday to my FILs bike.

I’m happy with direct talk! I just wanted to be sure. I’ve already ordered one, it’s arriving tomorrow. Thanks again.

I’m happy with direct talk! I just wanted to be sure. I’ve already ordered one, it’s arriving tomorrow. Thanks again.
Might want a new cassette too, a bit of meat gone from those teeth I'm afraid and anything above 10 is known for eating teeth if the chain isn't replaced soon enough.

Intrigued. Why would 10+ speed systems wear more?

Edit: thinner rings less metal?
There is an argument that material changes have been made in newer cassettes but also the increase in details like ramps, where the material has been intentionally thinned may have something to do with it. The sprockets themselves are no thinner than 8 speed so it's something of a strange finding but gone are the days of 3 chains to a cassette, I'm lucky to get 2 chains on the 10 speed and I have to constantly monitor wear to not let it go over .75mm stretch.

Maybe I should just run with the original chain and cassette a little longer and book it in for a service in the autumn to get both changed as I’m not too comfortable changing the cassette myself.

I’ve also found using just GT85 has helped make things last longer, as the chain/cassette always then seems cleaner.

using occasional wet/dry lube has often quite quickly trashed everything in my experience, with more dirt/dust sticking to it and if you are not some one who wants to clean/degrease it all off again every week.

and have I remembered correctly, a new chain on an older cassette will likely slip gears immediately, but a new cassette on an old chain won’t ? Whilst appreciating chains are cheap by comparison and thus you should ideally always change both at the same time.

Back