Best way to teach your kids to ride?

Will be following all the above advice when the time comes, thanks :D

However, how do you get a 17 month old to wear a cycle helmet (It's a decent design with micro adjustable cradle)
- our daughter has a proper hissy fit every time we put it on her :(
Me & the wife have tried wearing our helmets at the same time to show her it's ok but didn't really work.
I'm not risking her in the bike seat until she'll wear the helmet
- any suggestions?

I absolutely agree about Islabikes. I think we are on No5 between our boys. I bought one secondhand and sold it on (outgrown) a year later for the same as I paid for it.

Second son was riding his Isla balance bike at 2 1/2 and used to fly around the place. Both asked to cycle to school, which No2 has done since age 4. Fortunately we have a very safe route.

However, how do you get a 17 month old to wear a cycle helmet (It's a decent design with micro adjustable cradle)
- our daughter has a proper hissy fit every time we put it on her

I was going to suggest, er, what you've already done, ie putting yours on first. At the mere mention of bikes our youngest goes "Hat! Hat!" and points at his head, and then "Daddy hat, Mummy hat" and so on.

Maybe get a new helmet that she chooses? Maybe she just doesn't like the colour...

Just (as in five minutes ago) ordered one of these for eldest, who's now insisting on having gears:

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn20.html

We found the best way to move the children on from stabilisers was to find a nice gentle slope and a trusted older child - in our case a cousin and a couple of hours later the job was done. No tears, no problems.

SLOPE METHOD

Yep the slope on grass works a treat
all three of our kids used that method like suggested previously with a young relative encouraging them and us parents looking on slightly dissinterested and hey presto its fun and there is no pressure ;)

Our 2 eldest learnt to ride at campsites on holiday with their riding friends encouraging them, they were both over 6 and started on stabilisers.

We went the balance bike route with our youngest (age 2-1/2) and he started cycing 2 wheels at 4. He now has an islabike Beinn 20 (small) which he flies along on - even changes gears and stands up to grind up hill :cool:

Caramba Kid":pg05ofz4 said:
Will be following all the above advice when the time comes, thanks :D

- our daughter has a proper hissy fit every time we put it on her :(
Me & the wife have tried wearing our helmets at the same time to show her it's ok but didn't really work.
I'm not risking her in the bike seat until she'll wear the helmet
- any suggestions?

I'm clueless on this one. Although we did let them choose the lids. i spent a little time making sure the straps were well adjusted too so they didn't get on the kids' nerves

One other option that works for everything else we do - stickers. let her cover it in peppa pig stickers and you'll won't be able to get it off her head.

:LOL:

MikeD":3q7ym8g8 said:
- our daughter has a proper hissy fit every time we put it on her

I was going to suggest, er, what you've already done, ie putting yours on first. At the mere mention of bikes our youngest goes "Hat! Hat!" and points at his head, and then "Daddy hat, Mummy hat" and so on.

Maybe get a new helmet that she chooses? Maybe she just doesn't like the colour...

Just (as in five minutes ago) ordered one of these for eldest, who's now insisting on having gears:

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn20.html

That is swEEEEEEEEt. as with the comments above you pay more with Isabikes but get it back as they sell like hot cakes on the bay

Back