Best Purple Cantis to work with Brifters on Cyclocross Bike

Tommy27

Retro Guru
Yes you read that right. Missus loves purple and her cross/ gravel/ touring bike (easily clears 35 even 38s) currently runs early 00s Ultegra Brifters with squishy early to mid 90s LX Cantis (will update with model numbers later)

Frame is a Simoncini, from around 95- 97 so just fits on here.

We're unlikely to change the Brifters, but they just don't work with the current Cantis. Would the Dia Compe 980s or 988 work any better, or any other recommendations (in purple)?

TRP Eurox will work, I've got them on a bike with 10-speed Shimano 105 brifters. Probably come in purple. But don't expect them to pull the bike up like callipers or V-brakes, they really are dreadful in comparison!

I run the diacompe 999, with 10 speed 105. I keep meaning to go back to bar end shifters and something like the TRP or Diacompe levers, but brifters are still going strong after many years so have been lazy and kept using.

Found 999's to be a huge improvement over mafacs which I had run in the past with mafac levers and those were definitely more effective than the brifters.

Also find KoolStop pads do live up to their reputation and can offer so marginal braking gains.

TRP Eurox will work, I've got them on a bike with 10-speed Shimano 105 brifters. Probably come in purple. But don't expect them to pull the bike up like callipers or V-brakes, they really are dreadful in comparison!

No they aren't.
However they are much more sensitive to poor installation.
1) Over-long straddle wires always weaken the braking. However people set them up as they feel firm (which is due to a lack of force being applied at the rim). If the brake has a bit of squish then it's applying force properly. Get the wire as short as possible while still keeping adequate tyre clearance.
2) Cheap cable outers mean lots of lost motion and there isn't much left at the rim. Use decent outers, tip the ends off flat with a grinder.
3) Low-pro cantis are particularly dreadful, set the posts on the pads to clamp at their tips, which improves mechanical advantage. Even so, it's always a bit marginal on cable pull and longer pull is better (the latest Shimano levlers pull more cable so might be better in this regard).
4) Consider pads: big fat pads are squishy so V-pads in post type holders are often a good retrofit.
5) The latest Shimano levers pull more cable and might not work well as the mechanical advantage may be inadequate - I've not tried. However 10-speed 105 (5600 or 5700, I can't recall) with Avid cantis worked excellently for me.

I can endo/lock wheels with the Tektro Oryx on the Randonneur and Tanneri. Set up is crucial and a bit fussier. If they don't work, something is wrong somewhere. Haven't tried them with 10 speed 105 though.

Lot of useful information coming up on here.

Though realising the correct coloured cantis are available out there, not so sure it's going to be that easy to source over here, although do have till early December. But getting them from the states via mail order already looking to expensive.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back