BB choice for a 1963 H Quinn with a perforated BB shell?

Re:

After looking at the Quinns on Classic Rendezvous, in conjunction with your serial number, and Old Ned's info, I guess this is a sixties Quinn. I would extrapolate closer to '67 than '63, but of course I'm probably wrong.. :) When did the fashion move from Nervex lugs to these sort of 'Italia' lugs? Can you remember the lugs on your '64 Quinn, Old Ned?

Old Ned looks to have been on 16 1/2" chainstays at least, like the '63 bike in the linked article (with Nervex style lugs). This one must be 16 1/4" stays or maybe even slightly less. As you say, the geometry is sort of ahead of it's time. If 16 1/2 was daring on a road bike in '63, it may have been a few years before they moved to 16 1/4? I don't know, I wasn't there, so I'm speculating. I guess once you have vertical dropouts, chainstays can be as short as you like.

A bit late here, but the fork crown looks about 1970.
Nervex pro were going out by the early 1960's, Italian style lugs were in.
Keith

Re:

I have an HQ here with the perforated bracket, the BB is still the original ,

Serial Q4407

Attachments

• HQ Montreal 2.JPG
    HQ Montreal 2.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 133
Re:

This HQ is made from 753, Back then Raleigh allowed Harry to experiment with 753 and then report back the results. Only thin, HQ was not allowed to put the 753 sticker on it.

Attachments

• HQ Montreal 1.JPG
    HQ Montreal 1.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 133
I think my lugs were very similar to yours, 'Italian' style. Can't remember the length of the rear end but there was plenty of room for 'guards to fit. Later frames I had (not HQ) went down to 15.50" - which meant letting air out of the tyre to get the wheel out and nothing fatter than (in today's terms) around a 19mm. I don't think it made me go any faster!

Another curiosity of my frame is that it would only accept a low stack headset. I had asked Hilary to fit a classic Record 42mm stack HS, but he said that the 34mm stack Campag Sport HS was the preferred option. He was right; the top locknut only just fits.

Is this another example of Quinn 'weight economy' by keeping the steerer tube to the absolute minimum? I rather think it is...

HW

Hello,

Lovely frame indeed. I was most intrigued when it was for sale on HS's site as I have a near identical frame. Albeit one struck by a shrinking ray! I bought it for my wife as a complete bike just to get the wee frame, it's only 50cm square. Tiny!

It has same lugs (sort of, read on), crown, shot in stays, chrome in same spots. Mine has rear Campag vertical dropouts and spaced about 124/125mm (maybe spread from 120). Braze on for front mech cable, but not for dt shifters. The main difference (other than no drillium / cutouts) is it has longer point lugs than yours. Yours probably had the points cut shorter for weight saving. (Unless they're a different model and I'm mistaken) So maybe the drilling was even done originally too? As if the lugs were shortened, weight saving was obviously in mind at the outset. Although I think you established that as unlikely?

Curiously, mine is drilled for allen key brakes (done later perhaps). It came with modern (ish) Shimano parts mixed with a couple bits of earlier NR Campag. A Campag Strada chainset that date stamped '73 which I've thought likely original and used to roughly date the frame. Mainly as the all important serial number is Q2914. If you check it out on the HQ registry you'll see it lands right after a 1972 frame. Interestingly, it once belonged to Southport CC as you can make out where transfers had been. Maybe it was ridden by someone here once!

I also have on the registry, well built up for my dad, Q2503. Guessed at 1963 for that one as it came with all Record from the very early '60s. It's fairly forward looking too. Sloping crown, plain prugnat lugs, fairly close clearances, and nice brazeons to suit barend shifters. Guess Harry was always looking ahead. It's over here, just put some photos up so you could see if interested - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240112&start=10#p2189186

Anyway, not sure this helps any. But thought I'd share. I'll stick up a photo of the tiny one similar to yours tomorrow when I can take one in the light of day. Let you see the comparison.

Good luck building it up! Cheers,

Daniel

Here you go, this is my wife's very similar frame (excuse the very amateur tracking check). Head lugs are more different that I thought.

Attachments

• hq1.jpg
    hq1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 95
Back