Basic (but Simplex) rear mech incompetence

hamster":23s3cyfi said:
Well for a start it's mis-assembled: the front parallelogram plate is upside down.

Hmm - I thought it was just that someone had put the sticker on upside down.

Looking at some diagrams online I see that there are two holes where the end of the top spring can go in the pivot bolt... I don't know if it's on the wrong one and if that would make a difference.

Re:

I think hamster has it right, the derailleur looks like its been stripped and reassembled wrongly, the Simplex logo is definitely the wrong way up.

I stripped a Super LJ a while ago and I seem to remember the top spring being quite difficult to get back in. The upper spring pushes into the body and the end of the spring locates in a small hole in the derailleur body. There is then a washer (3563 in the drawing) with another small hole for the opposite end of the spring. The tab on the washer locates in the derailleur body. The problem is the spring begins to go under tension to locate the tab. It can be done, it just took me about 5 attempts!

Attachments

• Simplex SLJ.jpg
    Simplex SLJ.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 392
How terrifying is a strip and rebuild? Do you think that exploded illustration on its own is adequate instruction for the novice?

Having taken it apart, how does one adjust the tension on the spring?

I don't see the front plate as a separate part on the diagram (so I reckon a decal error too).

I've taken some more pics to illustrate my bother...

From the top, with the arrow showing in which direction the spring presses the assembly.

From the side

And pulling it down a tad to show where the Simplex proprietary tab stop thingy is.

I very much appreciate the help, chaps.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 343
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 343
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 343
stop needs to go behind the hanger not in front. Then pull the jockey wheel at the top down and anti clockwise making it the bottom one before you thread the chain as normal. That should do it. or not if the pic/drawing is anything to go by?

The close up photos show it better, the model number is at the correct end of the derailleur so the decal needs turning over. I'd warm it with a hairdryer before trying to peel it off. The circled tab on the photo should be behind the tab on the drop out, the drop out tab is usually around the 7 oclock position.

Attachments

• simplex.jpg
    simplex.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 320
Aha, that's made it look lots healthier, thank you very much all, will put the chain back on later and see what's what.

But I'm very confused, as said tab is using the notch on the dropout which I thought Simplex didn't use it, plus you'll note from the exploded diagram above that the tab (part #3563) is shown on the other side.

Ajoten":2vu288ou said:
Aha, that's made it look lots healthier, thank you very much all, will put the chain back on later and see what's what.

But I'm very confused, as said tab is using the notch on the dropout which I thought Simplex didn't use it, plus you'll note from the exploded diagram above that the tab (part #3563) is shown on the other side.

There are some simplex drop outs which don't have a tab and that style of drop out is non threaded as well. The derailleur has a bolt that screws in from the opposite side of the drop out. You have one of the slickest changing derailleurs ever made so it should be superb when it set up.

Back