Bar advice

Big LOLZ @ me and mm. I blame all the seat post action over the past week (was trying to fine a 27.0mm which I did - thanks to foolzgold).

Thanks for the suggestions!

My old FAT has the wider flat bars mentioned above and a Salsa stem with 10 deg rise. Thats a very comfy combo and probably why I like riding it- but I'm getting old and achy :cry: . No back ache, no neck ache and i can see more of the countryside around me- which is for me one of the things that i enjoy about riding.

If putting risers and bar ends on your bike is right for you then go for it- why ride a bike in pain for the sake of looks?? Just don't take any pics of it OK :?

I remember BITD when a few mates would run bars cut down to about 48cm and put them on back to front with forward sweep. Putting the thumbies on upside down and back to front would complete the look. Strange days! Anyone else tried it??

Si

Dr S":1gz11gt6 said:
I remember BITD when a few mates would run bars cut down to about 48cm and put them on back to front with forward sweep. Putting the thumbies on upside down and back to front would complete the look. Strange days! Anyone else tried it??

Si

Thank heaven today is April 1st so I can just mutter "good prank that one" to myself and then not come back to this thread. :roll:

Enjoy!!

Bar width should ideally be based around your own body proportions. A good starting point for bar length is to measure the widest point of your own shoulders and start with bars a little wider than that.

Ride with them, then cut them down a little (say 5mm at a time) and repeat until you're happy with the handling/comfort.

The important thing is the position of your hands relative to the pivot point (headtube) not the stem/bar combo you use to achieve it, so risers or flats is a personal thing based largely on looks. Once you know where you want your hands to be (relative to the headtube) you need to decide whether you prefer the aesthetics of a longer, higher rise stem and flat bars, or a shorter lower rise stem and risers.

The shoulder width measurement is for drop bars not really mtb bars as they end up a bit narrow,eg my drops are 44cm wide while the mtbs are mostly 62cm,even when racing they were 56cm.

Russell":1s8y3d8t said:
Ride with them, then cut them down a little (say 5mm at a time) and repeat until you're happy with the handling/comfort...

Or maybe just move the grips etc inward until you are happy, then trim? Less time cutting, more time riding! ;)

Back