Backwards/forwards play Hope floating rotor

dyna-ti":326pbl4f said:
Raging_Bulls":326pbl4f said:
dyna-ti":326pbl4f said:
Stick to a solid rotor.Unless youre horsing it down the alps its unlikely you'll get that big a heat build up ( and then DOES it actually make a difference :?)
I think the floating are heavier also :?

The 180mm Hope Saw rotors on my Bulls each weigh 145g, or 37g more than the bike's original one-piece Formula RX rotors (108g)

As for making a difference, yes they do. When a one-pice rotor heats up, it'll start to warp. A 2-piece rotor won't have that problem.

Im not sure youre correct in that RB ? Just because its attached to an alloy carrier is not goin g to prevent it from moving,alloy is a metal too you know ,also affected by heat
Strange then that they did away with the 5 bolt rotor on it's alloy carrier. I do remember quite clearly how they 'proved' that the new 6 bolt rotors were cooler :roll: seems now that that was a pile of poo.

Personally i think its a whole thing is a huge pile of steaming nonsense, designed to sell new bits to you when you dont really need them ;)

Well, the theory (and the practice) is that because with the floating rotor the braking surface isn't in effect part of a large disc, (albeit one with lightening holes) but rather just a ring, it is more free to expand in diameter whereas with the one-piece rotor the brake track tries to expand but is constrained by the non-braking area (even if that is effectively just spokes). Consequently, all it can do is to take on a wave form distortion which is felt as pulsing through the lever.
The alloy carrier is largely isolated from any heat build-up so doesn't expand significantly.
That's my understanding of it anyway, and it's backed up by my experience of using them.

Back