Axel Hub Bolts

XTR99

Retro Newbie
Hello,

Couldn't see a mechanics section.

I need new axel nuts M6 including the serated cups that fit onto the frame.

Can only find bmx titanium bolts that seam to be the wrong size & not serated.

Might not be essential the cups are serated, i ask here as assume someone may know a supplier preferable that doesn't charge £10 a bolt like many seam to be asking.

Ill update better pics of current bolts tomorrow.

The last parts of my project priory it complete as the current ones are rusted & loose when tightening etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• skwpHPJT_o.jpg
    skwpHPJT_o.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 9
I'd just try halfords, or any local bike shop. I'd doubt they are m6 though, standard axle sizes are 9mm front and 10mm rear.

Hello,

Pics & afaik their M6 with actual thread 23 mm long could use 25 mm etc

I've looked for them & the cups are fused on two or three of them or i would of just got some bolts but also the mushroom size of the head fits better than my spare M6 bolts inc flange ones.

Only these parts to source as intend on keeping bike as great little machine that's cost £300 now but i like customized bikes !

New bolts stem headset crank BB chain guards tyres seat & clamp bars seat post pedals & has a white industries freehub ! which was a bonus as bike only cost £60 originally.

& i prefer poor anti theft diy paint job !

Ta

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_114009.jpg
    IMG_20230327_114009.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230327_113508.jpg
    IMG_20230327_113508.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230327_113407.jpg
    IMG_20230327_113407.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230327_113359.jpg
    IMG_20230327_113359.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230327_113231.jpg
    IMG_20230327_113231.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230327_113216.jpg
    IMG_20230327_113216.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230327_113101.jpg
    IMG_20230327_113101.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 8
Solution found !

Titanium washers & bolts but my only question is do i need serated like the cups ? & ill stress the bike isn't used for anything but gravel type riding.

Thanks if clarification upon serated i can order my concern being the rear wheel dropouts & movement a 14 stone rider.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The bolt looks like a standard m6 button head. They do a flanged version too....10p a pop from any fixings place. Just keep your ribbed washers.....

Im more concerned you say they won't tighten....those bolt threads look fine to me....i would be more worried the spindle is stripped inside.....

Ah didn't realise the axles were threaded internally to take bolts, thought they would be standard axles with external nuts to secure them - a picture tells 1000 words. Agree with Tootyred though - bolts look okay, could clean up with some wire wool but the threads look fine. What's actually slipping - are the hex heads rounded (don't look to be?)

Right, there's no current slipping & as said the serated cups are fused on three of four, I've used new button double washers stainless steel & bolts previously but despite mild use i wasn't happy with integrity & reverted temporary back to the rusted ones.

Having read titanium penny washers reportedly three times stronger est they should do the trick matched with button head titanium bolts as only a tenner & keeping bike.

Priory purchasing my only concern is the rear dropouts without the serated, thus having given weight & intended use im not mechanically minded & was hoping someone might say the following:

With that weight & uses gravel type affairs they should be fine / hold up but including don't take my word for it, its just
experienced opinions would align to my thoughts it will be fine.

Then i can purchase the last parts! required from what was a bike in a sad condition.

The bike is to always have a bike as my ebike wont last another 3 years & i don't know if ill ever get another due to injury & a failure to move from current location.

Thanks for replies if anyone can say fairly tight should be fine with suggested Titanium that will do OR if you know any 20 mm serated washers to taly with the titanium that aren't super flimsy as i haven't gound any that are about 1 mm thick & 20 mm wide.

Incidentally im using 2 washers per side 8 in total as previously that improved the setup but still was a little flimsy.

Thanks

You shouldn't need to be doing them up tight enough to bend normal washers, let alone needing ti....

If you think that many qr set ups are alluminium which bolt tighten on (security skewers etc) they really dont need much force with an allen key to hold a wheel in!

The clamp force will many times surpass any anti slip force added by the washers being grooved.

But you could try adding a locking washer if your really worried...look up serrated washers or nord lock or anti vibration washers....

Hier

Not overly worried & the stainless weren't bent as such just didn't look or feel solid nor wanted to over tighten, it wasn't overly torqued just using one finger on the end of a 6 inch draper hex.

Just steel washers not a long term solution but Titanium's will do the trick as the actual real nuts cost 13 pound each ! if found an M6.

The clamp force will many times surpass any anti slip force added by the washers being grooved.

That's what i was after hearing one other person confirms your thoughts & ill order.

Better safe than sorry they say or more accurately i like to know what's beneath me when riding as i sometimes push the boundaries despite mostly sedate riding.

Thanks a great help to hear others clarify my thoughts on suitability.

No offence i always await a double clarification such is ' mecano ' you may well be an Prometheus engineer for all i know !

Back