Aviotech Fiocco Light (5.94 kg) by Dream Bikes

Carbon

Nice as the bike is as a showcase, I just cringe at the thought of the use of Carbon as a frame material for an MTB, its just not practical, too expensive and extremely vulnerable to impacts. Its also not that light at all, up till recently I had a Merlin 6/4 Ti XLM custom frame that only weighed 1050g and would be infinitely stronger and longer lived!

If carbon weren't impact resistant or light, why is it the material of choice in F1 where cost is no object? :LOL:
There's a youtube video of a carbon fork by Niner, I think, where the guy takes a hammer in one hand and the fork in the other and he whales on it 5 or 6 times - the "thwack" noise made me grimace. He showed the fork afterwards and no cracks or marks at all. I think the hammer might have been rubber coated but still...was impressive to me.

...but it's always the same problem: what's the best material from carbon, titanium, aluminum or steel?
There's the best material of all: ask Wold Ranger if an aluminum frame is not vulnerable in the impacts?
I think that if all producers - cannondale, ellsworth, trek - (especially this year) opt for the "top frame" the carbon, there will be a reason?
Finally merlin worked titanium 3 / 2, 5 not 6 / 4 and in a size 17 "5 missing 300 grams (1340 grams frame); plus titanium is stiffer than the carbon, indeed ...
However this is the "VINTAGE SECTION" and so,

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: beautiful bike !!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

il_ricercatore_74":3sh5qkkm said:
...but it's always the same problem: what's the best material from carbon, titanium, aluminum or steel?
There's the best material of all: ask Wold Ranger if an aluminum frame is not vulnerable in the impacts?
I think that if all producers - cannondale, ellsworth, trek - (especially this year) opt for the "top frame" the carbon, there will be a reason?
Finally merlin worked titanium 3 / 2, 5 not 6 / 4 and in a size 17 "5 missing 300 grams (1340 grams frame); plus titanium is stiffer than the carbon, indeed ...
However this is the "VINTAGE SECTION" and so,

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: beautiful bike !!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Merlin very much work 6/4 to order still and the retro Ti frames were 6/4 and my frame was a 15 inch and a custom order in 6/4 Ti. Carbon is definitely not impact resistant, which is why the shells on F1 cars although very light and stiff are very easily impact damaged. A lot of the saloon classes need a new shell every race or every other, due to stone damage thrown up from leading cars rear tyres.
Failure rates with Carbon mtb frames is extremely high, and the resulting injuries can be horrific, it should carry a health warning!

Wold Ranger":z4i4yk39 said:
Merlin very much work 6/4 to order still and the retro Ti frames were 6/4 and my frame was a 15 inch and a custom order in 6/4 Ti. Carbon is definitely not impact resistant, which is why the shells on F1 cars although very light and stiff are very easily impact damaged. A lot of the saloon classes need a new shell every race or every other, due to stone damage thrown up from leading cars rear tyres.
Failure rates with Carbon mtb frames is extremely high, and the resulting injuries can be horrific, it should carry a health warning!

Excuse me!!!! i don't write very well in English!!!! ;-)
would not be an attack against you!!!!
This is the vintage section and this is the post of Dream Bikes and his beautiful FIOCCO.
let everyone the opportunity to choose from titanium, carbon, steel, aluminum and even plastic !!!!!
i'm sure that until 1997 (I think even up to 1999) Merlin worked 3/2.5 titanium tubes :

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/merlin.html

the 6/4 is used only for dropouts or CNC parts.
the last real Merlin by Rob Vandermark was XLM, mountain and taiga, and they were all in 3 / 2, 5 (aparts cnc...).
really i don't know the custom order or the road bike but I think that only models TR 6 / 4 and CR 6 / 4 has worked 6/4 titanium tubing...

btw, this FIOCCO, mmmmmh :LOL:
ciao Mauro!!!!!

Back