Atlas (?) 1930s (?)

Jesper

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Is anyone familiar with a European (?) Atlas marque. I am only familiar with the Indian marque.
I bought this bike that was stated as being an Atlas, but there is no identifying it other than by it having "Atlas" hubs and an "A" design headlight bracket.
It has a Magistroni bottom bracket assembly, but I cannot discern the logo on the crank arm.
The odd thing are the head tube lugs and fork crown which are similar to (or are) the Gloria "trefoil" style; more like "fleur de lys" style. Did the Indian company ever produce a fancy version with that detail?
The previous owner claimed it to be from the 30s, but the Indian company formed sometime after WW2 so that would be an issue if it was of Indian manufacture.
I have found US, English, French, Netherlands, Italian, and Indian marques using the "Atlas" name through the years.

s-l1600 - 2023-01-18T071201.890.jpg s-l1600 - 2023-01-18T071140.038.jpg s-l1600 - 2023-01-18T075422.392.jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (81).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments!

I was able to find out that it was sourced by the previous owner from the Emilia-Romagna region where it had been in storage since 1994. There are a lot of old bike companies from that vicinity which encompasses quite a large area. There were companies based out of Modena, Rimini, Forli, Parma, et al.; and just because it was located in that region doesn't mean it came from that same area. It may not even be an Atlas, but given the hubs, cranks, and headlight bracket I am still leaning in that direction.

I have done more research and found "Atlas" bike companies based in India, Netherlands (thanks @mdvineng, I found another headbadge from the Netherlands, specifically Holland; and assume it is the same company as your example although a completely different badge design), US, England, France, and Italy. I will check the bottom bracket threading and assume that if it has Italian threads that it is at least of Italian origin beyond a doubt. I highly doubt any US or English connection other than the name, and I would assume that French and Netherlands brands had French threads. The Indian make is still up for grabs, but I doubt that on also.
I have absolutely no idea as to how I will restore the bike without seeing another example. I am curious if the lugs may have been nickel plated when new.

Last edited:
Back