Artists among you question

ian.allen2":3k912wj8 said:
32% apparently :D http://poshtest.com/

joe careless":3k912wj8 said:
why not contact http://paulhogarth.co.uk/ for advice?

Alison

Haha 3% bout right that, only cos I wear a Barbour coat![/quote]

I done the test and I got 13%.
I will have to refine my standing in society and rout out the 13% so that I am 100% mongrel, like the day I was born. lol[/quote]

You realise that would mean you giving up the polo :D

Alison

No, not the polo !vOh my word, how will I manage to live :?

I went back and changed one question, and that was the tea / dinner. Tea time is evening and dinner is at dinner time, unless you are my wife, and dinner time is lunch and tea is dinner. I dropped another 3% just by saying dinner is dinner time. ;)
I am getting there. :LOL:

ian.allen2":2dpjk6uk said:

I went back and changed one question, and that was the tea / dinner. Tea time is evening and dinner is at dinner time, unless you are my wife, and dinner time is lunch and tea is dinner. I dropped another 3% just by saying dinner is dinner time. ;)

For me I have lunch at lunchtime, dinner at dinner time and tea is a drink made with a tea bag and milk :D

Alison

Alison":3nj80fju said:
ian.allen2":3nj80fju said:

For me I have lunch at lunchtime, dinner at dinner time and tea is a drink made with a tea bag and milk :D

Alison

At school, there is the dinner bell. That is at dinner time. On TV, there is tea time viewing, that is at tea time.
Dinner cant be at tea time. Lunch if for toffs or those who are brought up differently to people like me. :D
Just as daytime is in the day and evening is around 7pm onwards and night time is later at night, roughly from 9pm onwards. ;)

ian.allen2":2xlwnc2l said:
At school, there is the dinner bell. That is at dinner time. On TV, there is tea time viewing, that is at tea time.
Dinner cant be at tea time. Lunch if for toffs or those who are brought up differently to people like me. :D
Just as daytime is in the day and evening is around 7pm onwards and night time is later at night, roughly from 9pm onwards. ;)

I have lunch at lunch time (beacuse I always take a packed lunch to work - whoever heard of a "packed dinner"?), and tea at tea time. I think the tea/dinner thing, having lived Down South for the last 5 years or so, might be a geographical rather than class thing*, a bit like the inability to pronounce simple words like "bath" and "glass" properly in the South**. :p

David

*After all, apparently The Sweeney hadn't had any dinner, and Regan & Carter definitely weren't posh.

**I'm from the Midlands; given that the dictionary was invented by some bloke from Lichfield, in linguistic terms = our game, our rules. ;)

David B":vyebk6bz said:
ian.allen2":vyebk6bz said:

I have lunch at lunch time (beacuse I always take a packed lunch to work - whoever heard of a "packed dinner"?), and tea at tea time. I think the tea/dinner thing, having lived Down South for the last 5 years or so, might be a geographical rather than class thing, a bit like the inability to pronounce simple words like "bath" and "glass" properly in the South*. :p

David

*I'm from the Midlands; given that the dictionary was invented by some bloke from Lichfield, in linguistic terms = our game, our rules. ;)

I'm not sure whether the tea/dinner thing is class or geography but I'm from the East Midlands and I've know people that call it tea, both there and in North Yorkshire where I live now. But I was brought up with lunch is at lunchtime, hence the lunchtime news, packed lunch, and at school it was called lunchtime, and it is in my children's school today and dinner is the main meal of the day which one tends to have about 6pm, anything after that is supper and tea is definitely only a drink about 11am with jam and bread :) I drink coffee to be honest :D

Alison

I dont think it is a class thing, its just one of the questions in the posh test. lol.
Also, people who put an 'R' into words where it is not, like bath / barth, garage / gararge, path / parth. I sometimes wish people would talk proper, like me. lol
Even the queen dont talk proper. lol

Seriously though, I think it is a geographical thing. My mother had a Lancashire accent, but me and my sisters all have leicester accents, even though our mum taught us to speak. She could never understand why we never had Lancs accent like hers. We say, its because we hung around with local kids and talked like them.

ian.allen2":3oo5bi2t said:
Seriously though, I think it is a geographical thing. My mother had a Lancashire accent, but me and my sisters all have leicester accents, even though our mum taught us to speak. She could never understand why we never had Lancs accent like hers. We say, its because we hung around with local kids and talked like them.

I'm from the East Midlands like I say, but don't particularly have a strong accent, my oldest moved to North Yorkshire at 7 and has never picked up the accent, he's not really got a strong accent of anywhere, just like me. I always corrected the children if they used naw instead of no as they do here. My grandma was more obviously Nott's born and bread but my mum never picked up the Nott's accent, people with a strong Nott's accent are hard for me to understand even though I've been brought up in a Nottinghamshire village. So despite my children all going to local schools and mixing with local people non of them have picked up the Yorkshire accent at all, they all talk pretty much like me.

Alison

Back