Arthur Caygill 653 Custom

Hiya foz. Yeah I think it might have been you that I was chatting to about Jackson's painting for Caygill BITD.

I had an exchange of emails with Bob Jackon's last year, the guy on the other end could not have been less helpful, he kept referring to them as Gaygill. Needless really. I certainly won't be using them at that.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to building it!

Well, Friday gone was my frame's 26th birthday, and the date I had in mind to complete the rebuild by.

An early start saw me dashing about to collect a few last minute parts, then I started the build by wrapping the cranks:

On with the wheels:

Next, a couple of hours on the parts washer to clean up the original parts that were being retained:

Final frame prep:

A box of NOS:

And on with the build.

I called it a day at 1130pm, with just the front gear cable to sort...

On Saturday I finished the gears off and had a final fettle. Then I took the bike round to my local bike shop (Bike Scene, if anyone wants first rate customer service on modern MTBs), then it was off to Caygills to show them the finished article.

The finished build:

If you're still reading, then thanks for bearing with me. I've really enjoyed this, both as a project and as a trip down memory lane. I've sourced a lot of the parts from this site, and dealt with some really sound people.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Neil.

Absolutely gorgeous, well done!

Probably pedantic to mention, but I think you have your brakes mounted incorrectly, i.e. rear pair on the front and vice versa. The longer arms with a bigger hole are the front ones.

Thanks guys :)

jimo746":27vbon7i said:
That's stunning, what did Caygills have to say about it?
They seemed pretty impressed, whipped it off to take some pics. I'd been speaking to them throughout, they were really helpful.

iveto1983":27vbon7i said:

Probably pedantic to mention, but I think you have your brakes mounted incorrectly, i.e. rear pair on the front and vice versa. The longer arms with a bigger hole are the front ones.
Not pedantic at all!! I looked for differences after reading that there were some, but couldn't spot any, and the Shimano tech docs didn't seem to mention it. I must have done this in the past at some point - I had OE pads on the front, and Ritcheys on the rear, so I've actually refitted them as they were. I will swap them over! Thanks for pointing it out :)

iveto1983":3gyfcjyc said:

Hey Pat, I can't for the life of me figure this out. I've taken a canti off the front and rear and compared them on the bench, and I can't see any difference. What am I missing? Every dimension I look at seems to be the same, there's no different markings or anything...

Cheers,

Neil.

Latest posts

Back