Armageddon days are here (again!!)

I rode one of these, sans super monster, back in the day (well, about 2005). Fun bike for sure, nothing I'd race on, but fun.

Didn't Josh Bender ride one of those off that cliff in BC? Kept crashing like hell. That guy had stones, if not skills.

Very nice indeed , but I hope you did not pay too much for the frame with cracked linkage about £130.00 as you will never get replacment and you will never be able to ride it.
Also looks like the alloy inserts are all chewed up too , not very well looked after I'm affraid , I know a guy whom had stainless steel linkages machined for his karpiel.

Downhillwego, I paid what in my mind was a fair price.... whatever that would mean.
I know that the market value of this beast approaches ...... well, let's see,..... almost 0
But it's been more an homage to my youth's myth than anything else.

The inserts are OK: changed the bearings, and plates are moving effortlessly.
I have also a Demo 9 and a KHS Dominatrax, and the Karpiel has the plushest rear suspension of them all. So plush that it actually gets overcome by the fork: I should find less firm springs for the SuperMonster ( speaking of Impossible Missions!!!!).
Anyway, i'm not looking to use this missile in DH on a daily basis, only now and then. And, of course to get groceries and scare the kids on my way to the mall!!!

Besides, the crack in the linkages are in non-structural parts.
Interesting nonetheless the story about stainless steel plates: may I dare to aks if you could be so kind and dig some more information about these from your memory?

Thanks,
Alberto.

albystarvation":3gxz5ptp said:
Downhillwego, I paid what in my mind was a fair price.... whatever that would mean.
I know that the market value of this beast approaches ...... well, let's see,..... almost 0
But it's been more an homage to my youth's myth than anything else.

The inserts are OK: changed the bearings, and plates are moving effortlessly.
I have also a Demo 9 and a KHS Dominatrax, and the Karpiel has the plushest rear suspension of them all. So plush that it actually gets overcome by the fork: I should find less firm springs for the SuperMonster ( speaking of Impossible Missions!!!!).
Anyway, i'm not looking to use this missile in DH on a daily basis, only now and then. And, of course to get groceries and scare the kids on my way to the mall!!!

Besides, the crack in the linkages are in non-structural parts.
Interesting nonetheless the story about stainless steel plates: may I dare to aks if you could be so kind and dig some more information about these from your memory?

Thanks,
Alberto.

Yeah buddy i know what you mean.
Well the super monster as standard came with red firm springs.
And what i done was get standard monster springs 4 of them then put 2 in and then the other 2 had cut down and ground square i had nylon plugs made that sit in the springs holding them together.

Yes the guy is on pinkbike look at his karpiel called Chr1sb he is selling his full bike with super monsters

Fair ply to taking the tine to get this right.

This was from an interesting tine in mountain biking; I often felt that the riders bravery (stupidity?) outweighed their skill set especially when you see what a modern trail bike can handle. My Rune is far more capable than some of my old DH bikes ever were.

Re:

@downhillwego: thanks a lot for the info, i've seen the Armageddon on sale by Chr1sb, what a beast!

I will try and see if I could get someone to fab me some stainless copy of the linkage plates.

@mindmap : yes, i was fully aware about the obsolescence of this type of bike. As I told before, I got two other Dh rigs: the Dominatrax, that I bought new in 2000 and assembled myself, was my first Dh bike. Learned a lot on that bike.
But my Demo9 is far more capable of being ridden hard, and it simply gives back performance: not as plush, but stable and predictable. You have to manhandle it in the corners, though, otherwise she will be riding you, instead of the opposite....

The Karpiel is simply a magic carpet, so far... Keep in mind that I haven't brought it on a proper DH track, yet. And, given that I have to renegotiate my DH riding chances with my better half, due to my recent kidney injury, it may take some time before I can let the Army ride wide open....

Anyway and above all, it's all about having fun on two wheels, isn't it??

Back