Anyone tried 24 inch wheels in a 26 inch frame?

Re:

Around 16 tears ago, I swap my rear 26" for a 24" on my Sunn titanium. I try 24" front but I came back to 26 for makng a 46er, like the first Cannondale or some Fat Chance and Ibis. I machined some "bolted" dropouts for keeping the same headtube angle and for shortering the stays. For rear brake, I machined and welded bosses for a disc brake (disc brake was something new at that time.). But I tried to use some V brakes too and made adaptator like Mavic made.
I loved that bike with 24" rear wheel : more funny on technical ground and a nice climber : I could climb where classic 26" stopped !

I'm thinking it may be worth building my Santa Cruz Chameleon as a 24.

I built a 46er for my daughter to get rid of the heavy and useless suspension forks and she loved it.

Re:

My 46 I drew, built and rode for a long time. The best climber I have ever ridden !

If only disc brakes were an option this would work. Not wanting to modify the frame so limited to v brakes.

ishaw":1cke5o9t said:
If only disc brakes were an option this would work. Not wanting to modify the frame so limited to v brakes.

you dont fancy trying one of those bolt/ clamp on disc mountings? Would be a shame if the brakes were the only stumbling block and stopped the project.

Re:

Well I could go down the a2z route. If it comes to needing to try 24 inch wheels, that might be the way forward, though aren't they for alloy frames?

It's not worth the trouble as it's just a bike that my wife will seldom use anyway, plus it's a nice and original bike (well I still have the original bits at present but it won't end up original once finished).

RickTheUncivil":18hy4blh said:
does she really NEED brakes?
A very good question, I doubt the blocks will need replacing anytime soon.

To be honest, once this is built in it's next guise, if she isn't happy with it or if it is not small enough/sit up and beg enough, it will be sold and she can buy herself a ladies drop frame town bike complete with basket (which I think she would prefer, just trying to create a bike that is suitably retro and cool enough to be seen riding near myself).

Back