Anyone know how to withdraw Hyperlite bar end plugs....

Tizumo":3vqefwgw said:
The plugs are plastic with some reinforcements inside, I should have a new pair somewhere if you need to drill them ;).

Thanks Tizumo - that would be useful! If you could pm with price and pics that would be ace (I've got more than one hyperlite bar, so will defo be useful!)

Do you know if they are solid all the way through? If I have to drill, will defo be mutilating one of them!!

rjsdavis":24hdrsw8 said:
WD Pro":24hdrsw8 said:
If it's ally, do as above but drill and tap.

Once it's out, make the hole as neat as possible. If it's ally I would be tempted to leave a grub screw in the hole flush with the head.

Thanks WD - I might be mis-interpreting what you are suggesting, but this seems to suggest drilling somehow in the ally bar itself?

Where are you suggesting leaving the grub screw exactly?

Don't drill the bar ! I was referring to the plug which is now confirmed as plastic :D

I would drill, screw and then pull the worst condition one out. Knock the best one out from the back. Buy the above spare set and keep one safe as a spare :D

WD :D

WD Pro":1dw5gwrn said:
rjsdavis":1dw5gwrn said:
WD Pro":1dw5gwrn said:
If it's ally, do as above but drill and tap.

Once it's out, make the hole as neat as possible. If it's ally I would be tempted to leave a grub screw in the hole flush with the head.

Thanks WD - I might be mis-interpreting what you are suggesting, but this seems to suggest drilling somehow in the ally bar itself?

Where are you suggesting leaving the grub screw exactly?

Don't drill the bar ! I was referring to the plug which is now confirmed as plastic :D

I would drill, screw and then pull the worst condition one out. Knock the best one out from the back. Buy the above spare set and keep one safe as a spare :D

WD :D

Don't worry - I would NEVER have drilled the bar! I was sure that that isn't what you were suggesting.... but it did read a bit like it! Should have a screw long enough to protrude from the end of the bar once it's in place....

It's a guess but the bars could have been fitted with Answer Hyperends of some sort. I'm sure you're familiar with them but if not....... they're held in place by an expanding wedge that fits inside the bar; that might explain why the plug has been pushed in.

I think you'll need a cork screw to pull yours out but I have a spare set you can have. I bought a bar that had been fitted with a clamping type of bar-end and as you can see the ends were crushed/split so I cut them down and as I'm using Hyperends I didn't see the need to push them back in.

Attachments

• IMG_4317.JPG
    IMG_4317.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 540
Top Tip Viz Style:

just shorten the bars to the depth the plugs are pushed in to make it look intentional. :)

i drilled my plugs and then pulled them out to the ends of the bar. sure, a hole in the plug is ugly, but its generally going to be coverd by a grip anyhow. when pulled out theynof course help to stop the 'cookie cutting' of your grips which is a good and useful reason to drill the plugs

Back