Anyone Else Getting Paranoid About Bike Theft?

Just to emphasise a point Jonny69 touched on. Do not leave decent bikes locked up too long anywhere. Even if the thief can not get through your hundreds of pounds of heavy steel locks and tethers, it is scary the number of stripped frames you see locked up securely around London.

It actually takes seconds to strip your bikes brakes and shifters if you are not too worried about scratching the bars or damaging the grips!

bike

When parking out and about I suggest not putting it in same place, same time too often.....it gets noticed!

Some people cover up the maker detail etc in the hope that the thief will not realise it's a good make of bike. To my mind I don't really see that would make a diff. It almost tells the thief it's a good bike and if it's not they will nick anything if they can regardless. Also why bother with a nice bike if you're going to hide it with homemade additions. It's a bit like people who buy paintings and just lock them in a bank vault.

Of course can't blame people for trying anything to protect their bike...or painting for that matter!

I have registered my bikes on www.immobilise.com.
I also have them data tagged with a micro chip and I use a UV pen to mark bits of kit in my garage. All this and I have shackles bolted to my garage wall and a wide range of different D locks and cables to wind round them.

Scary stuff the extent of which could be solved with meaningful punishment...

Only yesterday, My Dekerf was tampered with at work in a secure area with 4 CCTV camera's trained upon it... Seen the scumbag on CCTV starting to set about removing the DLock... Fortunately he got spooked and I was able to bring the bike into my office (which at least gave me something nice to look at for the afternoon...)

Currently weighing up alternative storage solutions..

Back