Any runners?

moonlite

Kona Fan
Any RetroBikers also runners?

I was a runner before succumbing to the charms of cycling, but always try to fit some running in between rides. For a couple of years I managed a few triathlons and duathlons, but marriage and work have put paid to that. Now in my late 50s, it's becoming obvious that recovering from a run seems to take longer than it used to. In my 20s it was normal to do six runs a week -- now two (short) runs and three rides a week is the most I can manage.

The two disciplines seem to be reasonably complementary, although I've learnt that combining the two requires some extra quad stretching -- cycling seems to tighten them up a bit.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who sprinkles some running in with their cycling. Want to compare notes?

yes. I was always a cyclist first and runner second but that has swung as I've gotten older simply because of time available. I can go out and run 10km in 50 minutes and know I've done a good session or I can go out for 30-40 miles in 2 hours and feel the same. I can also run in the dark without to much fear of being hit, unlike on the bike.

I don't consider them to be completely compatible as they use a few different muscle groups, but in terms of stamina I completely agree that mixing the two is great.

this year is planned to be a big running year after recovering from a hernia and operation, so far I'm at 130 miles for the year including building up to running a decent distance. goal is 600 miles for the year minimum with at least 1 marathon length run (which I haven't achieved in a few years).

I'm in my 40's so you have a few years on me in that respect, for me a normal week is 3 rides to and from work minimum (working out at 40 miles for the week) along with 2x5k and 2x10k or longer a week on foot. mixed in there is a set of hill drills and a fast (sub 8 min/mile) 5k or fast (sub 8.30min/mile) 10k.
tail end of this month I'll be starting to add in a swim every 2 weeks. who knows I might even make it back to triathlons.

yes. I was always a cyclist first and runner second but that has swung as I've gotten older simply because of time available. I can go out and run 10km in 50 minutes and know I've done a good session or I can go out for 30-40 miles in 2 hours and feel the same. I can also run in the dark without to much fear of being hit, unlike on the bike.

I don't consider them to be completely compatible as they use a few different muscle groups, but in terms of stamina I completely agree that mixing the two is great.

this year is planned to be a big running year after recovering from a hernia and operation, so far I'm at 130 miles for the year including building up to running a decent distance. goal is 600 miles for the year minimum with at least 1 marathon length run (which I haven't achieved in a few years).

I'm in my 40's so you have a few years on me in that respect, for me a normal week is 3 rides to and from work minimum (working out at 40 miles for the week) along with 2x5k and 2x10k or longer a week on foot. mixed in there is a set of hill drills and a fast (sub 8 min/mile) 5k or fast (sub 8.30min/mile) 10k.
tail end of this month I'll be starting to add in a swim every 2 weeks. who knows I might even make it back to triathlons.
Wow -- you're in a very different league to me! I haven't managed to run more than 15-20km a week for a long time. Admittedly, much of that time was spent in Singapore, where the heat and humidity made for extremely sweaty and uncomfortable running. The only time I ever did a marathon distance was the '95 London Marathon -- a great experience but I suspect out of reach now.

I agree that running is more time-efficient, although that advantage is eroded a bit by all the stretching and rolling I do to prevent a recurrence of shinsplints.

Good luck with the return from surgery and with the swimming. The two triathlons I managed were extremely satisfying achievements.

Wow -- you're in a very different league to me! I haven't managed to run more than 15-20km a week for a long time. Admittedly, much of that time was spent in Singapore, where the heat and humidity made for extremely sweaty and uncomfortable running. The only time I ever did a marathon distance was the '95 London Marathon -- a great experience but I suspect out of reach now.

I agree that running is more time-efficient, although that advantage is eroded a bit by all the stretching and rolling I do to prevent a recurrence of shinsplints.

Good luck with the return from surgery and with the swimming. The two triathlons I managed were extremely satisfying achievements.

I suffered within shinsplints for years, the only stretch I do everytime now is heel drops on the curb outside the house as it's the only thing I've found that stops it in normal shoes. what really stopped it though (and this bit is going to sound mental) was swapping to barefoot shoes. It forced me to change my gait to mid sole landing, it also flattened my toe section and raised the arch considerable. it took a while to do (6-9 months of short runs) to correct the physiological issues (we are a lazy bunch us homans) and I'm considerably slower in them than in normal shoes but it really made a difference. the natural cushioning of the high arch reduced the impact on knees/calves/shins. I still run a few time a month in them although I tend to wear real shoes again at the moment (new shoe day today).

I've had the privilege of Singapore running, not a lot of fun, especially when you are running around the ship yards out near Jurong.

I have a close colleague who does ultra marathons for fun, he makes me feel woefully inadequate and he's mid 50's now, I can't get close to his pace never mind his distance. gave up trying, I run for me and me alone and I refuse to compare myself to anybody. It's meant to be fun......

I have been running for the last 10 years or so, since various things got in the way of cycling and I had limited time. I never used to like running, and I still don't, but needed to do something when I had no time for the bike. I ended up doing several halfs, a couple of marathons, but last year the marathon training was just not motivating me, my times were OK, I just didn't feel good so stopped 6 weeks out, started cycling seriously again, and haven't looked back :) I'll still do the odd 10k here and there, and maybe run once or twice a week for the exercise. Trail running, mind, is a different thing altogether - absolutely love it!

I was but had to quit a year ago because of my hip. Was closing on a 5 minute mile (was at 5:22, exceptional for a non athletic leisure runner in my age band, then 53) but quit on doc's orders. It was like giving up smoking for a few weeks, but a year on I'm resigned to it,

I was but had to quit a year ago because of my hip. Was closing on a 5 minute mile (was at 5:22, exceptional for a non athletic leisure runner in my age band, then 53) but quit on doc's orders. It was like giving up smoking for a few weeks, but a year on I'm resigned to it,
Sorry to hear it. That's impressive speed -- pity your hip didn't allow you to break 5 minutes. I have no speed -- more of the 'start slow and get slower' school. When all is (was) well, my secret weapon was being able to trundle on and on at more or less the same pace for about 90 minutes.

Thanks. I'm not really built for speed being a 20 stone mesomorph, but 35 inch inside legs and a cyclists lungs gave me the ability to not sprint, but to keep up a fair lick for 6 or 7 minutes. Otherwise I was most definitely a plodder, 6:43 on a marathon.

Yep, run 4-5 times a week, anything between 3 and 8 miles depending on the legs and how much elevation I can avoid (sadly unavoidable around here 🤣 ). Done the marathon thing (Berlin, London, Brighton, best time 4:17), so half marathons are my leg stretchers (PB 1:45), usually 2-3 a year, starting with Reading (as usual) in April.

Footwear, for me, is important because of my floppy ankles. Nike structures do the best job of keeping me upright. I like using mapmyrun to keep the geek in me on track to beat the annual KM goal of the year (1020, 1021, 1022, etc.)

Other than that, it's all good. If I'm away from home I bring a kit bag with the essentials so I can go for a run before/during/after work. Running helps my cycling and cycling helps my running so it's a win/win.

Back