Any Idea? Ancora Milano frame from the 20s/30s

Yes, I aggree. Need to find some cups for testing over here - but its funny, having an Italian frame with French/Swiss threading.

I am still not certain how to build it, also having a rather standard headset and hence a lot of forks to choose from makes it a bit easier...

Yes, I aggree. Need to find some cups for testing over here - but its funny, having an Italian frame with French/Swiss threading.

I am still not certain how to build it, also having a rather standard headset and hence a lot of forks to choose from makes it a bit easier...

Can't see another way except trial and error - I wouldn't pay too much attention to the shell width to be honest.

Back then I suspect things were not as clear cut as St Sheldon would have us believe (he's writing that from an American perspective and a post war period). I think it was more of a blur between European bike builders.

Probably. I just learned that I meassured the BB the wrong way. Not inside the shell (35mm) but on the outside around: 36mm. Makes more sense of course... An ITA BB it will be.

Reactions: Woz
Righty tightly both sides. I used to have to re tighten the bb on my vintage French and Italian bicycles, until my son was able to get them much tighter than I could. The Italian one came loose once after he tightened it the first time. It’s been good since. You need to check for play after each ride to be on the safe side.

I've had at least one and usually two Italian frames in my stable since the early 1980s and have never had a fixed cup wind out, not even ones that were fitted hand-tight with a Campagnolo 713.

Just received a test BB for the Ancora frame. It defo works while the shell could use a re-threading. I'll have this done at a vintage Italian race bike shop (cicli berlinetta) close by.

A matching fork might have appeared as well, neither an original Ancora nor from the period in question, but with a nice looking fork crown from an early GDR made Diamant touring bike.

Next thing to sort out will be the rear hub, either an classic track hub with 110mm, a new downspaced track hub or some sort of vintage internal gear/coaster brake hub. Anyone has a spare Sturmy Archer ASC ;)

Cheers

I've had at least one and usually two Italian frames in my stable since the early 1980s and have never had a fixed cup wind out, not even ones that were fitted hand-tight with a Campagnolo 713.
I’m 77, old and have worn out hands. If someone stronger winds it down it’s usually good. The late 20s Gloria track bike does comes loose no matter what. A 60 to 100 mile road ride makes it loose. My French road bike has been good since someone really torqued on it.

I'd have said the same until last weekend when I had the BB in my Denti start to unwind in the middle of nowhere on my Sunday morning ride! Couldn't thread it back by hand but luckily I found a bike dealers place on a farm in a village a few miles away who by a minor miracle was open and sorted me out. A little blue loctite on it now and it should be solid I hope.

I'd have said the same until last weekend when I had the BB in my Denti start to unwind in the middle of nowhere on my Sunday morning ride! Couldn't thread it back by hand but luckily I found a bike dealers place on a farm in a village a few miles away who by a minor miracle was open and sorted me out. A little blue loctite on it now and it should be solid I hope.
I check mine after each ride, just to make sure. Someone claimed the French designed their bicycles this way on purpose so that the BB would get tighter when they were retreating. I think this must be one of those urban legends. Ha,ha.

Back