Another SBDU - A Rather Nice Little Frame

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
A couple of weeks ago, one of the authors of a book published in the late 70s, "The Penguin Book of the Bicycle", got in touch about his Raleigh SBDU 753 frame. Both authors had frames built during the time that they were researching and writing the book.

The frame number of SB1995 dates to early 1978. His frame was used for a couple of seasons and then returned to Ilkeston in late 82/early 83 for a renovation - Ilkeston updated it with lever bosses, cable stops, chain hanger and re-routed the cables under the BB. They even drilled and countersunk the fork crown for recessed brakes. After that frame work they painted it beautifully with up to date transfers.

And then it was put on a shelf high up in a cupboard at his home until last month. 36 years in darkness, no exposure to moisture or sunlight. It looks like this frame just left Ilkeston this morning...

Attachments

• The Penguin Book of the Bicycle My TI-Raleigh SBDU.jpg
    The Penguin Book of the Bicycle My TI-Raleigh SBDU.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 789
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 788
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Transfer Details.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Transfer Details.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 788
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Paint Details.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Paint Details.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 787
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Fork Transfer.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Fork Transfer.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 787
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Drilled and Countersunk Brake Recess.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Drilled and Countersunk Brake Recess.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 787
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Details.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Details.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 786
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Campagnolo 1010B Fork End.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Campagnolo 1010B Fork End.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 786
I was gobsmacked when I went to collect it - the condition is perfect.

Attachments

• SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Raleigh Cable Guide.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame Raleigh Cable Guide.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 781
  • SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame My TI-Raleigh SBDU.jpg
    SB1995 SBDU Ilkeston Reynolds 753 Road Frame My TI-Raleigh SBDU.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 781
Amazing! And has ended up in the right hands. Excellent blog, you've obviously been working very hard!!!

Midlife":19ge7mv9 said:
Wow! I guess it would have left SBDU in the usual Peter Post Raleigh livery?

Well that is a something I talked to the original owner about when I picked it up.

He didn't like the TI scheme and still finds it "garish" so it wasn't that, but then he admitted that he couldn't actually remember what colour it was originally. I can only guess that this was simply a refresh of the original colour.

Ah, would it have been built as TT special frame with a head tube decal but with road dropouts? I guess it has no H bb stamp. Blimey I wish I had paid more attention vack in the 70's when I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer lol

Edco headset? As supplied by EG Bates etc BITD :)

Nope it is 100% a road frame just with foil badges. No H ref either.

I think the EDCO is actually brand new and probably a replacement of the original. Part of the renovation service they offered was to face and fit a new headset at the same time if you wanted them too.

Back