Another question of Fork....

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I took a small gamble and bid on these forks:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220706687002&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

which i won.
The steerer tube looks a tad long, so i'm wondering if cutting this down is not an issue - im pretty sure they are for 26" wheels.
Also, the colour coding looks vaguely familiar, but i cant place it. I don't know what they came off of - am waiting for an answer from the seller.
my first instinct was Raleigh Mustang....
any thoughts? :? :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
twain":13a03cig said:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220706687002&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

which i won.
The steerer tube looks a tad long, so i'm wondering if cutting this down is not an issue - im pretty sure they are for 26" wheels.
Also, the colour coding looks vaguely familiar, but i cant place it. I don't know what they came off of - am waiting for an answer from the seller.

Colourway is Raleigh but not Mustang but Thunder Road, they may also be 531 if they are Thunder Road but I can't remember exactly.

Mustang are easily identifiable by the drop ups which are huge stamped steel plate things welded into cutouts at the bottoms of the forks.

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Do indeed look as if came out of a long headtube! Cutting 'em not a problem but you will presumably need to extend the threading?

providing its 1 1/8" (which i'm also uncertain of!) could i use a threadless headset? i'd obvioulsy need to add a star nut inside the steerer tube.
this is new to me, so correct me if im wrong, i know these things can never be simple.... :( :?

COULD use threadless irespective of 1" or 1 1 /8", but many people frown upon clamping an ahead stem to threaded part of the steerer. If all threaded bit removed, no problem. If some or all of the clamp on threads, then pays yer money and take yer choice (or risk?).

Personally, as a gentle (and <9st) rider clamping to threads wouldn't worry me. But that's opinion only!

Not that I would recommend you clamping onto a threaded steerer,, just to let you know I have been running a ahead stem on a threaded fork for over two years with no issue.. but obviously the risk is always there .. ;)

by the looks of it, its a ong steerer, so i could get away with it...time will tell. should get them this week with any luck - snow due again this thursday apparently...:S

drcarlos":2ru2zv37 said:
twain":2ru2zv37 said:

which i won.

Colourway is Raleigh but not Mustang but Thunder Road, they may also be 531 if they are Thunder Road but I can't remember exactly.

Mustang are easily identifiable by the drop ups which are huge stamped steel plate things welded into cutouts at the bottoms of the forks.

Carl.

funnily enough i saw one on the way to work this morning. long steerer indeed! might try get a photo. also saw a very old looking Spesh Hardrock...

I'd go for it - if it is threaded it looks long enough that when you cut it to size (assuming your frame isn't 26"+ made for giants) you'll likely remove most of the thread anyway.

Cool looking forks; nice find.

Back