Annoying Thing #103,899: Missing plastic plug from an XTR M900 Shifter

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
Have no idea what you'd call it, but this bit:

IMG_1314.jpeg IMG_1315.jpeg

I took the bike into my LBS (who are lovely, and did a great job checking things over) but they did manage to commit two massive faux-pas:

1. They put the Tri-Dangles on backwards when they checked the brakes and made adjustments to my original botch-job, so now I have to botch 'em again myself!

2. They somehow lost the little plastic plug that protects the innards of the XTR M900 shifter from dirt and water, Etc., when they were setting everything up.

They didn't mention that when I picked the bike up, of course.

Nor that they also stole the black crimps I dropped off to use if they needed them.

Which they didn't, they had plenty. But I guess they kept mine anyway.

Okay, so 3 faux-pas...

Anyway... I'm not sure why anyone would have a spare one of these plugs, and if they did, how they'd even find it amongst all their other bits (what a tiny, annoying thing to lose), but on the off chance you do, please let me know.

I mean, why I would have this shipped across an ocean I don't know. But maybe someone on here from over here happens to have one?

That would be great.

And if nobody does: Any suggestions for a decent fix on the fly?

All suggestions beyond a bit of chewing gum/bluetac are welcome.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Try these you will have to measure the hole diameter but might be an option (8mm maybe) worth a try for less than £2

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Right ... when I sold a full XTR groupset the thing I was able to say was ‘...and it has the incredibly rare rubber cable hole plugs which everyone loses by prizing them off only to find they ping into a part of the workshop never to be found again...’.

I regret they are a unique part, and everyone loses them.

HOWEVER.....

These are the very nearest you can get, in silicone rubber so, unlike the plastic ones, you actually can get them out again....

Latest posts

Back