And they moan that brits go abroad for hol's

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
Yesterday me and the mrs went to the coast for the day. Came away just feeling ripped off rather than having a good day.
Everything is twice the price as it is back home and ten times as crap...Cup of tea, sandwich etc....Parking costs a fortune and the council has the the traffic gestapo out 24 hours a day waiting for you to go two seconds over your ticket time....after you have already paid a mint to park......Public toilets......40p EACH to go for a jimmy riddle...So that's nearly a quid for me and the mrs to take a leak :shock:

No wonder people go away when all they want to do is skank you in the name of leisure over here

My rule of thumb for holidays is to avoid all the touristy places (Blackpool, Skegness, etc.).

As a seaside town resident I totally agree. Public toilets have mostly disappeared and those that are left are stupidly expensive.

Parking charges are unbelievable and not even legal in many cases as the council have not done the correct paperwork when they introduced them or marked the roads correctly. Meanwhile the road surfaces are in the worst state I've ever seen them as the council spend all the money on addng new traffic lights everywhere and turning a 15 minute journey into a 30 min one even when traffic is calm.

As for cafe's and things - my advice is to avoid anything thats anywhere near seafronts and other major tourist areas.

Also make sure you have enough petrol because prices are higher here. In fact just go 1 hour inland and everything is cheaper and better quality.

The annoying thing is that residents are hit by the costs just as much as visitors despite this being a town with an average income below the national average, all because every retailer wants to fleece the tourists. :evil:

Rant over!

i went to skegness once , never again . after growing up on the southwest coastline i just laughed

i dont miss spending hours sitting in traffic during the summer though . nor do i miss having to walk 10 mins to park my car while living in the center of town

As I live in London work in the heart. I look at all the tourists And wonder why do you come here?? To see what Buck house, changing the guard, Big Ben Oh is that it!!! There is so much more to see????? isn't there!!???

tintin40":3iz4uu8y said:
As I live in London work in the heart. I look at all the tourists And wonder why do you come here?? To see what Buck house, changing the guard, Big Ben Oh is that it!!! There is so much more to see????? isn't there!!???

The Cutty Sark for one and HMS Belfast for another. ;) Although I think that the Cutty Sark is being restored at the mo.

On the topic of paying for the loo, you have to pay to use public toilets on a lot of the continent IME so things are not so bad. That old supply/demand chestnut I am afraid. I have a related issue where loads of wealthy folk who work in the Thames Valley want nice houses in the countryside of S. Oxon. and accordingly I cannot afford a house anywhere near where I work. Fewer mindless tourists ambling about though so that is good.

Back