And the award for best packaged bike goes to......

What a pathetic way to pack a bike!

Anyone who cannot take the time to ask an LBS for a bike box, buy some cheap foam piping or even wrap cardboard round tubes, or even just use common sense! to pack a bike deserves nothing in life.

I myself usually use a Cannondale bike box or large Specialized bike box.
I remove the front wheel, wrap every tube in foam pipe, remove the rear mech and wrap it in foam and the chain in bubble wrap.

I wrap the forks in foam and fit a plastic dropout saver then cushion the bottom of the forks with foam. I then remove the handlebars and turn the forks backward, with the stem pointing back and well wrapped.

I then put a large piece of cardboard in the left side with a cutout for the left crank, then I put a plastic stub in the front wheel axle, wrap the wheel in bubble wrap and Zip tie this to the frame with the left crank inside the spokes. Sometimes I zip tie the other crank to the chainstay.

The handlebar is then wrapped in foam or bubble wrap, with extra foam on levers and such, and this is zip tied to the right side, pointing down, with attention paid to the cables and levers positioning.

This package is then put in the bike box, and some packaging put around this to keep it firmly placed within the box. Seatpost and saddle are removed and wrapped, and placed above the back wheel, seat collar is taped in place or put in a bag with the pedals.

I will also sometimes double card the box for extra strength, or put a bike box within a bike box, and I always use lots of packing tape, criss crossed for strength

I always remove the pedals, and never turn them in as this can end up with cranks being turned and the frame damaged by the pedals.

I have been commended for my superb bike packing skills (And packing audio equipment and Hi-Fi tables) with all my sales.

Why do I go to such lengths, because it is the least one should do for any item worth money that someone who works hard pays for.
I know what it is like to really want something, and do three months of 12 hour shifts to pay for it.

Sadly I have found that respect for someone else's money and opinion on an items condition is not too hot on this site. I would prefer not to be in that category, and hope my own opinion of how well a nice bike should be packed inspires at least a couple of sellers.

Another pet hate is people who cannot be bothered taking decent pictures of kit, and taking forks apart to show condition. I have one pair of messed up Judy's which have been lubed with what looks like CV grease and have crumbling internals, though I did get an aftermarket cart kit, reasonable outer legs and a good 1" crown out of them. And one superb condition pair of near NOS 1996 Judy SL which were superbly packed! (Thankyou Fenton ;) )

On a side note,

Parcel Farce,

These guys are seriously dodgy, and their staff DO steal.

I had an expensive Apple Mac quicksilver, about as top of the spec as one could take the quicksilver, with a hell of a lot of expensive software and full Tiger OS, plus Apple keyboard, mouse and decent size Apple screen all being posted to me.

This item ended up at a depo, I had to check it's status due to it not arriving on Parcel Farces stated date, and they told me they had a large package, and that it was a complete Apple PC package, their driver had forgot to pick it up? I was curious to this as they were able to describe my package and contents?

I was told the driver would pick this up and deliver the next morning.

After another day of waiting nothing arrived, I called and another person quoted that my package was there, it must have been missed because it was only small? Alarm bells!

It turned out my package had arrived, as it was in Apple packaging and rather bling it seems someone thought they would have an early Xmas, and removed its labels and stuck it on a small jiffy bag with god knows what inside.
I was given the run around, and lost three days work, before it became apparent that even they could not hide the fact that the original item had been received in various depo's and had been visually confirmed and logged due to an earlier error.
Clearly that first mornings driver looked at my expensive computer and decided to hide it in the depo, hoping later to cover his tracks. Lucky for me I had been tracing it due to taking time of to receive it, and that I called when I did.
I got insurance, BUT not for the full value of the items and software stolen!

If it had not said Apple on the box just maybe???

Harryburgundy":1s7u6qpu said:
:shock: That's ridiculous...what a tw*t

PS Your kids are going to puke/spill ketchup etc on them oneday...no point trying to protect your dining chairs forever...take the plastic off ;) :LOL:

I just thought Pickle got the chairs from the same guy as the Zaskar! :D

Pickle, your pics of your son are really cute as avitars, but that bike pic might need a turn in the avitar role... :LOL:

utahdog2003":15mx904d said:
I just thought Pickle got the chairs from the same guy as the Zaskar! :D

Pickle, your pics of your son are really cute as avitars, but that bike pic might need a turn in the avitar role... :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

Go on then, I'll have a play re-sizing it tonight ;)

Pickle":3ain926n said:
Its going to be a long day and I probably arent going to have many fingernails left! What state am I going to find! :shock:

The wife has sent me this pic, and told me already that the packaging around the saddle and bars is torn, and the pedal has punctured through :roll:

I paid £30 sellers posting charge, and he used £11.99 senditnow.com. I am damn sure the remaining £18 would at least of covered a bike box!

Thats my bloody latest Zaskar in there! :(

Rant over, deep breath......

Looks like the parcel company just pushed the pedals through so they could ride it to your gaff!

Reminds me of a 93 Fire Mountain frameset I recieved, in a box (no padding) couple of pieces tape outside which failed with the bottom flaps open to all :roll: .
Guess was mad at not being able to sell complete bike.
Got a stuck (what remains of it) seatpost :( so will have to sell off at a loss...............

I guess Huntso got of more lightly than me.

Back