So, first issue overcome. Next issue, parts….

As a standard, Formula 1 used XT M732 or Cooks CQP cranks. But that’s standard, and this bike isn’t standard.

I love Bullseye cranks and, being steel, they fit perfectly with the steel rear end. Only downside is that Formula 1 use Mavic BBs as they have unthreaded, solid carbon fibre BB shells. What to do…

Obviously the answer is @elite504 again. I sat Nick down and explained a fever dream I had that I wanted him to make real. I wanted him to machine out a Mavic BB shell so that it would accept 22mm ID bearing. ‘But a Bullseye crank uses a 22.2mm axle’ he explained. Thats when the second part of my fever dream came into its own.

Take one Mavic BB
53659665551_dfbd9cbe49_h.jpg

Machine out to take double rows of 22mm ID bearings
53659892463_4babf41a2a_h.jpg

Finally machine the Bullseye Axle down to 22mm, and you’ll have the first set of Bullseyes that are made to proper tolerances and actually spin.
53660136510_471e73e456_h.jpg

A world first, a set of bullseyes running on a mavic BB with sealed bearing that will actually work in the UKs weather. This is so in keeping with the whole ethos of Formula 1, great British Engineers working out of their sheds creating magic. Nick is a f*cking genius.

53726960806_9660a6fac4_h.jpg

So, first issue overcome. Next issue, parts….

As a standard, Formula 1 used XT M732 or Cooks CQP cranks. But that’s standard, and this bike isn’t standard.

I love Bullseye cranks and, being steel, they fit perfectly with the steel rear end. Only downside is that Formula 1 use Mavic BBs as they have unthreaded, solid carbon fibre BB shells. What to do…

Obviously the answer is @elite504 again. I sat Nick down and explained a fever dream I had that I wanted him to make real. I wanted him to machine out a Mavic BB shell so that it would accept 22mm ID bearing. ‘But a Bullseye crank uses a 22.2mm axle’ he explained. Thats when the second part of my fever dream came into its own.

Take one Mavic BB
53659665551_dfbd9cbe49_h.jpg

Machine out to take double rows of 22mm ID bearings
53659892463_4babf41a2a_h.jpg

Finally machine the Bullseye Axle down to 22mm, and you’ll have the first set of Bullseyes that are made to proper tolerances and actually spin.
53660136510_471e73e456_h.jpg

A world first, a set of bullseyes running on a mavic BB with sealed bearing that will actually work in the UKs weather. This is so in keeping with the whole ethos of Formula 1, great British Engineers working out of their sheds creating magic. Nick is a f*cking genius.

53726960806_9660a6fac4_h.jpg

Brilliant!

Right, getting serious now.

More parts. The original F1 forks are long gone, finding another set is as likely as a Rishi being our PM after the next election, so what next..

Well, British bike, steel rear end, there’s only one option. This is made an all the more easy decision when you look at the prototype F1 on @uno-speedo ’s website https://www.vintagemountainbikes.com

53728853930_6f108a463c_h.jpg

Pace it is. RC30 for the win.
This time, another Retrobike old timer comes to the rescue, @mk one had the perfect pair. Early flat 1” crown, straight legs, but orange. That’s fine though, they’ll come up a treat with a touch of black powdercoat. Another rare part sorted, another step closer to home.

Forks sorted, but stem? Well, if I’m going down the Pace rabbit hole then why not a Pace stem/steerer? Its clean and smooth lines would go perfectly with the carbon monocoque, it would integrate with the forks seamlessly and, of course, it’s British.

Obviously, not an easy part to find. The few that exist are mainly on RC100s, the ones that aren’t on RC100s sit in treasured collections and are often in 1990s monster lengths. I’m a short-arse, that just won’t do.

Lightning strikes again, this time @Corduroyboy comes up trumps with the perfect one. Bit of rise, short-arse compatible length, the perfect fit. This one is a @danson67 made version, an absolute carbon copy of the early 90s Pace version.

Stem sorted, headset? Pace RC100 often used Mavic headsets machined into aheadsets, Formula 1 always used Mavic BBs….you all know where this is going…. Mavic headset from my collection was set to @elite504 and had the threads removed to become an Aheadset. We are getting there!

53727401260_45e798b4da_h.jpg

53729181733_5dc34b59ec_h.jpg

Last edited:
Love the thinking behind this. Love the Retrobike community chipping in with parts and expertise. Love the bike!
Threads like this are a good reminder that Facebook is no substitute for a forum.

Where was I? Ah yes, stem… so the issue with the bike is it was designed for cantilevers but the original owner has clipped off the cantilever hanger when converting it to v-brakes, and the Pace stem steerer hasn’t got a hanger either as it was designed for Maguras. Then we have the issue of the old Rohloff hanger tab, the fact that the steerer is too long for the headtube and the paint on the legs and rear end is poor and totally missing on the stem.

53729315944_340ebe5bf0_h.jpg

What I need is a some sort of bearded super star who is equally adept at frame building and powder coating and has a passion for retro bikes. Step up @August Bicycles .

Gav is a rare breed. He crafts beautiful steel bikes through his frame shop https://www.augustbicycles.cc/ with his better half, Amy. He also builds wheels and creates cool little trinkets like coffee tampers and seat clamp light brackets, but he was also willing to find time to help me out.
He has a genuine passion for retro, and that came through in the discussions I had with him about what I wanted to do. I gave him my list of tasks, ‘no problem’ he said. He didn’t even blink when I didn’t send him the whole frame, just the rear steel bits, the front steel bits and some dodgy drawings

53730172581_9ca8e00a8e_h.jpg

53730506224_262a9d62c9_h.jpg

He has an amazing attention to details, things that no normal person would think of.
-When he cut the steerer to fit, he welded a stainless cap on the end as a normal steel cap would rust due to exposure under the crown.
-He had me mark the stem exactly where the hanger should go to ensure the brake cable ran parallel to the headtube
-He designed the front hanger to mirror the rear hanger so they both matched perfectly

53730361158_793ea2ce4b_h.jpg

Despite the fact that he managed to almost cut his thumb off (not on my job, I hasten to add), he ensured that the tiniest details were monitored. He wasn’t happy with the finish on one part so the powder coat was redone until perfect, and they were all perfect.

53726960706_7b6d194931_h.jpg

Honestly, if you need a new bike or some expert advice on sorting your old one, Gav is your man

Last edited:
Back