Alves

Re: Re:

nnc283":2n1snh9n said:
velofrog":2n1snh9n said:
i wonder if we checked the Chinese Calendar for 2016 if it would be "The Year of the Alves"...... they're coming out the woodwork aren't they?!

yeah that's a small frame Jamie, suits you sir!

colour is awful (each to their own.... i know, i know), but it is! as soon as i saw it i knew it was a respray, Charlie would never have painted it that colour! :LOL:

his sort of standard issue back then was a kind of burgundy metallic, with the Alves done in white and in caps, and that was a thin serif font like Times Regular with two thin white bands either side one the word ALVES

would be a nice acquisition that mate!

The colour is almost exactly the same as the original. It wouldn't be my choice either but my wife had a very specific idea of what she wanted and no-one, not even Charlie Ralph, would argue with her...

It's a shame we have to sell it but 20 years on my wife simply can't get a decent position on this rig any more there's a bit of sentimental value but we'd much rather someone puts it to good use.

Just 2 hours left BTW...

my apologies, i stand corrected! :D

certainly a "different" colour, but it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing i guess! :LOL:

nice to have another highlander on here too! ;)

velofrog":dpdbjvlw said:
nnc283":dpdbjvlw said:
velofrog":dpdbjvlw said:
i wonder if we checked the Chinese Calendar for 2016 if it would be "The Year of the Alves"...... they're coming out the woodwork aren't they?!

yeah that's a small frame Jamie, suits you sir!

colour is awful (each to their own.... i know, i know), but it is! as soon as i saw it i knew it was a respray, Charlie would never have painted it that colour! :LOL:

his sort of standard issue back then was a kind of burgundy metallic, with the Alves done in white and in caps, and that was a thin serif font like Times Regular with two thin white bands either side one the word ALVES

would be a nice acquisition that mate!

The colour is almost exactly the same as the original. It wouldn't be my choice either but my wife had a very specific idea of what she wanted and no-one, not even Charlie Ralph, would argue with her...

It's a shame we have to sell it but 20 years on my wife simply can't get a decent position on this rig any more there's a bit of sentimental value but we'd much rather someone puts it to good use.

Just 2 hours left BTW...

my apologies, i stand corrected! :D

certainly a "different" colour, but it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing i guess! :LOL:

nice to have another highlander on here too! ;)

My memory isn't as good as it was but I think Charlie christened the colour "heather" I never liked it but it did look much better built up especially with silver rims and amber wall tyres. Thing is you can buy quality frames like this under £200 so even if you have the thing resprayed it's still a bargain, well I think so.

Sadly I'm only an adopted highlander though I often say it's a Yorkshireman's spiritual home...

It's no consolation to Jamie I know but the successful bidder was a Scot so I guess it's gone to an appreciative home.

Re:

That's it, at least its gone to a good home :)
I did like it and I should have gone higher now I know the colour, as my wifes name is Heather :LOL:
For sure it would have been a nice addition but I believe 'whats for you, wont go past you' and its not like I am without a ride ;)
Welcome aboard nnc283, I hope you will be staying a while, maybe joining us for a macretro get together some time.
I raced the Strathpuffer the weekend before last with a couple of Yorkshire team mates, good men all round that's for sure :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2n22twne said:
That's it, at least its gone to a good home :)
I did like it and I should have gone higher now I know the colour, as my wifes name is Heather :LOL:
For sure it would have been a nice addition but I believe 'whats for you, wont go past you' and its not like I am without a ride ;)
Welcome aboard nnc283, I hope you will be staying a while, maybe joining us for a macretro get together some time.
I raced the Strathpuffer the weekend before last with a couple of Yorkshire team mates, good men all round that's for sure :)

Jamie

Hi Jamie - that's a real shame, I've only made a few excursions into this forum but if I had known there was an active Highland contingent I would gladly have given you first refusal on the frame - it wasn't about money we really just wanted the thing to be used rather than carry on being a dust magnet. It would also have saved me half an hours time parcelling the thing up and sustaining a nasty cut on my finger with the stanley knife ah well you live and learn.

I see there's an intro thread in the area groups section - I'll post something there FWIW have to say I'm not a great internet forum fan but you guys seem friendly enough... famous last words...

Glad you have packed it well, it is going to a good home where it will be appreciated and loved.
Any ideas on what to built it up with, got some Dura Ace wheels and bar end shifters and 8 speed mech, or got full Chorus 8 speed with brifters.
Think I will need 165 ta cranks for that top tube, now looking for a 130mm cinelli stem didn't I think would ever say that

See, its definitely gone to a good home ;)
Nothing much gets past Retrobike.
Look forward to seeing it built up rfj .
Both Dura Ace or Chorus would look lovely.

Jamie

I can say with certainty that Sue only ever used 170 cranks but it was only used for time trials so if there was toe/wheel overlap it wouldn't have been an issue.

Personally I thought it looked the part with down tube levers she had Shimano 600 with a seven speed straight through block usually with a HED disc on the back and a Corima 4 spoke up front. But for the long events it was 28 spoke mavics I'm pretty sure we had the weight down below 19 lbs then. Even with a brooks saddle.

As it was lighter than any of my bikes I took it to a hill climb once thinking that as I would be out of the saddle all the way it didn't matter about the set up being way too small but my dignity got the better of me in the end.

Latest posts

Back