Aluminium nipples - am I doomed

Dickyboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just finished converting my commuter to disc brakes the other day & second ride out one of the spokes snapped, or so I thought - the nipple head has actually come off leaving the threaded section on the spoke, serve me right for coughing up for some secondhand wheels with low spoke count, bladed spokes & aluminium nipples I guess - hadn't even noticed they were aluminium nipples till last nights "twang" :evil:

anyone got any good experiences with aluminium nipples or should I just replace the lot straight away?

I've had no problems with Alu nipples and still use them.

Only ever when it comes to servicing unloved secondhand wheels after 20 years, but then brass can easily be the same and locked solid. Alu are slightly easier to crush off than the brass ones which is a time saver.

Dickyboy":9t2w7ueo said:
Just finished converting my commuter to disc brakes the other day & second ride out one of the spokes snapped, or so I thought - the nipple head has actually come off leaving the threaded section on the spoke, serve me right for coughing up for some secondhand wheels with low spoke count, bladed spokes & aluminium nipples I guess - hadn't even noticed they were aluminium nipples till last nights "twang" :evil:

anyone got any good experiences with aluminium nipples or should I just replace the lot straight away?

I had 2 ping on me when the bike had been sat there on a bike stand for a few weeks, indoors, next to my desk, so I went and got them replaced. That was the front wheel, whereas, the back has been fine and that's from the same set.

They aren't known to last as long, but as they say, 'your mileage may vary'.

:facepalm:

I've had awful experiences with them - 5 years of light use on the tourer, then they collapse completely when you try to turn them. Spoke truing with mole grips is no fun.

My LBS refuses to build wheels with them.

I just built another wheel this week with them, never had any more problems that with brass. You do have to be gentle with them.

hamster":1bzwlcdi said:
The problem isn't when new, it is after a few years when they corrode and either seize or disintegrate.
That's just never been a real problem with mine even in snowy winters and salty roads.
Certainly no more a problem than with standard nipples the come through correded and completely locked.

ah, so no definitive answer then - think I'll replace this one & keep my fingers crossed that the rest don't snap so frequently..

I've just finished refurbing my friend's '95 Team Marin which had 4 alu nipples that needed replacing (I used brass), I've warned the owner that the rest could go at any time. Not an ideal place to save weight IMO.

Latest posts

Back