Alan Record Carbonio [Updated]

Re: First retro build in progress: Alan Record Carbonio

Now with added Delta goodness. First ride out this morning. Apologies for the modern pedals, but I decided downtube shifters would be enough retro to cope with for one day (and I don't yet have any shoes suitable for toeclip pedals).

So, first ride report (53k of Herts Hills in the sunshine, followed by about 20k of central London commuting in rush hour. Joy.)

All in all, it was very pleasant. I even set some PRs, which was odd - probably down to being forced to drive bigger gears than I'd otherwise have used. It's very smooth, more like a Ti bike than anything else. The brakes are excellent (see my other post about Deltas) - not a worry at any time. Shift quality is 'interesting' - I'm running friction at the moment as the syncro insert has yet to arrive. Upchanges are positive, downchanges less so, and you certainly need to develop some technique with the lever. It made me think about how often I change gear on my modern bikes - i.e. all the time; it's different when you have to think about changing. Having to trim the FD as you move across the block is interesting, too, but also rather satisfying. I suspect I need to wait for the cables to finish stretching before it really settles down.

As for the frame itself, well, the period reports of a certain lack of lateral stiffness certainly weren't exaggerating. It's about as stiff in torsion as wet spaghetti. You can visibly deflect the BB just by standing on the pedal at rest, and when you're really giving it some beans not only do you see (and hear) the chainring moving around, you can also feel the back end squirming like a small child with a full bladder. It's not a completely unpleasant sensation and it doesn't stop the bike from transmitting power, but it's very different to modern carbon PF30 frames with massive downtube/bb shell/chainstay interfaces. Handling is sharp - it's a fairly short wheelbase and not an especially long stem (110mm) and it tracks well, although it's occasionally disturbing to see how much the fork deflects over bumps.

I suppose the eBay feedback, as it were, would be "will ride again". But not, I think, in the club A group around Regents Park. More of a mid-pace sunny day in the countryside kind of bike, all things considered, although it coped admirably with my hideous traffic-riddled commute to and from EC1. Assuming the joints pass inspection, I think it will do very well for the Eroica next year, too.

I think downtube levers are more "interactive". By that I mean you have to think harder about when and how you change. You have to plan your changes, and plan your gears but you do change less. So satisfying when you judge a gear for a hill and you hit the top just as you want to change down and know you had chosen just the right gear.

964Cup":1cuxcwr5 said:
I think it will do very well for the Eroica next year, too.

I doubt they will be very pleased with Post 87 Frame, under tape brake cables and modern pedals.

Still a real nice bike though. I am just starting on an 89 TVT so will be in the same boat come Eroica time.

The levers offer both routings - I'll change it if needed, although I'm told this is not enforced. The frame is 1985 or 86 (25mm seatpost), the groupset '87 (although the crankset is a 90s Chorus at the moment since I can't find a decent condition C-Record in 175). The pedals (as noted in my post) are temporary while I get used to downtube shifters. I'll be using either the SR toeclip pedals shown in the earlier pictures in this thread or C-Record aero pedals if I can get some in decent condition for sensible money. So I think I'm covered.

(and in fact they allow post-87 frames anyway as long as they have conventional/retro styling (e.g. Zullo Vintage) and use DT shifters)

Re:

So, some progress (and some riding). Now with Deltas, NOS C-Record pedals and a biodinamica bottle. Just need a chainset to complete, but struggling to find a 175 C-Record in mint or near-mint condition.

Back