Airborne 2000 Lucky Strike DB Rebuild

Well now we have finished with the alien skin :LOL: I sourced a bung to stop crud getting up the bottom of the steerer - the clear things :

DSC06005.jpg

Nice tight fit but you can still push it out with a dowl down the steerer.

The black things came with my forks to alter the travel (80 / 100 mm) but I don't know if I need to add them or leave them out for the 80mm setting ? Any ideas ? The manual that came with them is poor to say the least - doesn't mention anything about setup or tuning, only fitment and safety... :?

I have ordered the rock shox carbon fender for them, looks a bit strange but this style of mud guard seems to get surprisingly good reports :D

WD :D

WD Pro":gaz8vqtv said:
The black things came with my forks to alter the travel (80 / 100 mm) but I don't know if I need to add them or leave them out for the 80mm setting ? Any ideas ? The manual that came with them is poor to say the least - doesn't mention anything about setup or tuning, only fitment and safety... :?

I have ordered the rock shox carbon fender for them, looks a bit strange but this style of mud guard seems to get surprisingly good reports :D

The spacers go in to reduce travel - the thickness determining the amount of reduction ;)

Have a scroll through this....

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox ... Manual.pdf

Should be the right one ;)

Cheers

Thanks for that :cool: I have more questions though ... :LOL:

More spacers = less travel. The manual shows 10 and 20 mm spacers. The ones that came in the box are 10 mm so do I presume it's got the 20 mm spacers in and hence on the reduced travel ? :?

WD Pro":1eq97iye said:
Thanks for that :cool: I have more questions though ... :LOL:

More spacers = less travel. The manual shows 10 and 20 mm spacers. The ones that came in the box are 10 mm so do I presume it's got the 20 mm spacers in and hence on the reduced travel ? :?

I would have thought that it would come without spacers fitted giving you the 100mm travel.

You can then fit one or both of the spacers to tune the travel you want ;)

Maybe jump on them and see what travel you get ;) :LOL: or take a peek inside ;) but I'm pretty sure none will be fitted.

I know that seems the obvious way :oops: :LOL: but having never had any suspension forks before (so don’t know how to set them up), the guide I found online says the first thing to do is to set the sag – but the sag measurement is based on what travel they are set for so I don’t know where to start … :LOL:

This seems to be the most useful / relevant information I found in the 2010 manual (mine are 2009 forks) :

SID2010TravelSettings.jpg

As I only got 2 spacers in the box this would seem to suggest that they have come on their middle setting i.e. 90mm ?

As they are new, I don’t really want to strip them down to find out :? I think I may email the serial number to Sram / Rock Shox and ask them what travel they set them up for when they leave the factory :D

I would wager yours are set to 100mm, with the spacers to give you 90 or 80 ;)

im not sure but i think wadsy may be right. dont the spacers only go in one leg? so you would only need 2 not 4 :?

That would make perfect sence then :cool: thanks guys :cool:

The frame was speced for 80mm so I might be pulling them apart anyway :LOL:

Is it feasible to leave them on the 100mm setting and run loads of sag so the geo stays the same as with 80mm ? Or does that mess other fork settings up ? :?

WD Pro":bujkipnk said:
That would make perfect sence then :cool: thanks guys :cool:
The frame was speced for 80mm so I might be pulling them apart anyway :LOL:
Is it feasible to leave them on the 100mm setting and run loads of sag so the geo stays the same as with 80mm ? Or does that mess other fork settings up ? :?

I'd pop them on and try them first, you may like the handling :? I suppose you could run with a bit more sag, but you'll be using a lower pressure for your weight ;) You don't want it diving unduly under braking.

Although they often say 20% sag for racing and 25% for general/xc so I'd have a play with the settings ;) I'll try and route out a set-up guide I have - somewhere ;)

Cheers

Back