Aend'e TT , Alan "pongo" braithwaite

Re:

You have three Aendes Shaun... you can call me out on my post if you think (or know) that I'm wrong. That is my schoolday.. and everyone else's..

My view of Aende is a little narrow and based in the 1970's when I wanted one but couldn't afford one. I did come across a few though and the drilling seemed pretty consistent at the time. Here is a couple of my seat lugs but the 3rd is just the same

wp_20150718_006-jpg.96651

2jflqts-jpg.298125

Problem is that Pongo did experiment and his techniques evolved over time, I have seen one of his frames with a slotted head tube with plastic x-ray film behind. like many frames without a cast iron provenance it's a matter of collating the info from the op's frame and forming an opinion.

Re:

This is a great little thread now guys, thanks for your inputs .
Here's another voice of opinion I grabbed from the Flickr tribute page -

Hi Scooter, nice find. It's difficult to say what the origin of this frame is. There are certain Aende features such as the shot in seat stays and seat lug that look like it could be an Aende, but personally, I've not seen those style of lugs before on an Aende. It could be that the remains of the Aende stickers are just someone stuck them on at some point to jazz it up a bit. Saying that it does look quite a nice frame anyway, so I guess there would be no reason to do such a thing.
As for your other queries, it is really difficult to know what tubing was used. I feel that Pongo had a slight preference for Columbus tubing, certainly he pushed me to choose Columbus SL for my TT frame when I'd originally asked for 531 SL but if a customer particularly wanted Reynolds over Columbus I'm sure he would have been happy to do that for them. Date wise, again, very tricky, but the remains of the Aende stickers look like the earlier type that were used up intil the later 80s. Maybe others on here will have more of an idea?
One thing I do know is that the handlebar setup and seatpost would not be original, the seatpost is a cheap generic type and those type of handlebars were more common on low profile time trial bikes and not usually on upright road or TT frames.
Enjoy your find and keep us posted if you restore it :)

Re:

Has the frame been repainted at some point..in the raw there appears to be fine pitting from bead blasting.
What is the date on rear mech?
Does that front mech have a cable stop and if so does it have a slot in it?

Re:

I'm going to say no , reason being that I think this was the original paint that i stripped. If it had been blasted then I think it would have a slightly more coarser pitting albeit either blasted with sand, shot or beads .
After I stripped the paint I cleaned the remnants off with white spirit then a soapy wipe over. As soon as it dried it had changed colour to a dry orange. Obviously the reaction with steel, water and air.
I then went over it with wire wool, and also a wire wheel into the awkward places and around the lugwork. Then Ive given it a wipe over with an oily rag.
I think the use of wire wool and the wire wheel and the close up macro detail has made it look like it may of been blasted..

Re the front mech , yes it does have the cable stop and it has a slot in it too .
The rear mech is dated 72 .

https://flic.kr/p/Y8pBGM
https://flic.kr/p/YkNzhc

What's your thoughts vcballbat ? You sound like your onto something ..

Re:

More detective work ..

If you can zoom in on this shot of my seat stays ,
have a look a few inches down and see the faint letters OLD on the left stay and RE on the right stay .

https://flic.kr/p/XVGSjw

REYNOLDS ;)

Back