Advice/Recommendations about reliable rubber?

colnagolover":4svlv6gy said:
Still open to suggestions :)
mattr":4svlv6gy said:
Use some road sealant in a decent inner tube.
Then you can use the tyres you like the look of

Get some ~100g tubes with removable cores, 30-40 ml of sealant and those lovely paves in 27mm. Run them at 80-90 psi, they'll be nice.

Can't believe anyone would suggest a gatorskin as a fast rolling tyre. :LOL:

Re:

Here's a list of relevant tires not yet mentioned, offering at least the option of a non-black sidewall, and presented in increasing order of both price and how hard it is to find them on this side of the Atlantic.

Continental Grand Prix Classic, 700 x 25
Clément Strada LGG, 700 x 25 or 700 x 28
Grand Bois Cerf Blue Label, 700 x 26, Standard or Extra Léger, 700 x 26
Grand Bois Cerf Green Label, Standard or Extra Léger, 700 x 28
Compass Bicycles Cayuse Pass Extralight, 700 x 26
Compass Bicycles Chinook Pass Extralight, 700 x 28

As yet, I only have experience with the Grand Prix Classic, which is a good all around tire, but not great at any one thing except looking the part.

Good luck,
The Kid

Attachments

• IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 433
mattr":34mbo2nm said:
Can't believe anyone would suggest a gatorskin as a fast rolling tyre. :LOL:

I think it is compared to other tyres of similar toughness.
That said, swapping to GP4000s gave me almost 2 minutes on an 18 mile loop!

Seeing as the opening post mentions Challenge Paris-Roubaix and Vittoria Open Pavé Evo CG, a gatorskin, or anything similar, shouldn't even be mentioned.
The gatorskins on my bad weather bike are possibly the shi77est road tyres I've ever bought, I just wish I could wear them out.

Schwalbe marathon supreme. I think they do a 25. They roll and grip in all weather, very supple and (in my experience) not one puncture in nearly 2k miles and that's on a fully loaded tourer.

Grand Bois Cerf Blue Label, 700 x 26, Standard or Extra Léger, 700 x 26
Grand Bois Cerf Green Label, Standard or Extra Léger, 700 x 28
Compass Bicycles Cayuse Pass Extralight, 700 x 26
Compass Bicycles Chinook Pass Extralight, 700 x 28

I'd seen these mentioned in an American review but have not found any European dealers and have no reliable info on rolling resistance/durability/puncture protection. And didn't find dealers for the Clement LGG either.

Right now I'm still in two minds between the Challenge Roubaix and the Vittoria Pave - Challenge looks better :) but somewhere there's a niggling thought that the Vittoria may offer better protection. My 2013 Roubaix clincher wasn't brilliant for protection but since then I understand they've upped the protection layer?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

mattr":29tjjnb0 said:
colnagolover":29tjjnb0 said:
mattr":29tjjnb0 said:

Get some ~100g tubes with removable cores, 30-40 ml of sealant and those lovely paves in 27mm. Run them at 80-90 psi, they'll be nice.
Feel like I'm speaking to myself..... ;)

mattr":1dnvd7vn said:
colnagolover":1dnvd7vn said:

Feel like I'm speaking to myself..... ;)

Got you - since that post, I've been looking at sealants as an option and also inner tubes with sealant already in place - the latter are just pretty heavy but I guess tubes with 30ml of sealant squeezed in will be just as heavy :?: Not that I'm a weight weenie at near 80Kg but the less weight in the wheels, the better I reckon they will perform (even if I can't :facepalm: )

Nah, most of the pre filed tubes have loads of sealant (100+ml) and are usually rubbish tubes in the first place (99p wilko tubes).

Designed for the lowest common denominator. And bloody heavy.

Mate of mine is running 100g tubes (might be supersonic) with 50-60ml of sealant, so the weight of a normal tube. He's had one puncture in 20000km. Running gp4000, which are fairly light. Puncture was caused by him ripping the tube with a tyre lever. Christ only knows why he was using it......

Back