Advice on spares and how you store them whilst riding ?

DON'T forget to enjoy it! Turn up way early so you can faff about with gear until you're cozy. Paper money and a card are much lighter as earlier suggested and you've ridden solo enough to assume you'll know about nutrition and digestion. It's a big rench giving up the saddle pack/Camelbak but you'll be fine mate.

I have been out on a tester run of the route I have heard is used for this ride and to test all my equipment.

One thing, does anyone carry their pump in their jersey pockets ? I have managed to get all my gear stowed away in my 3 pockets but the pump just about fits in but wobbles around lots. The pump has no frame mounting brackets :?

Or anyone used the co2 canister ?

Evening,

You really are taking this very seriously!!! I carry my pump in my jersey pocket - wobbles a bit and stays in it. I still think that an under saddle bag is the way to go - this type of thing -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-CYCLE ... 20c0e64288

^^ note - that 'type/ maybe not that exact one.

I have no knowledge of the CO2 canisters but i would suggest using what your comfortable with, trying new stuff when people are waiting never works and i am speaking from experience!!!

If you have a bottle mount on your frame there is a plastic pump holder which attaches to the bottle mounts and holds the pump with a velcro strap.

I hope this is of some use,

Richard

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
TGR":1j1shgbj said:
You really are taking this very seriously!!!

RE: my previous post on the subject I obviously am not taking it serious.

But in all honesty I carry as little as possible, a small canvas bag with tire iron CO2 and inflator; a tube and my phone. in case of total mechanical failure I call my wife to bail me out...

Steven

I probably am taking it to too serious :oops: :oops:

Probably going from mountain biking with a rucksack containing everything to a roadbike does not help.

I just wanted to have as much as possible sorted in my mind so I can really enjoy the experience rather than worry about it - maybe its the old age thing.

But appreciate the help and advice chaps ;)

widowmaker":2rz6fn8e said:
Probably going from mountain biking with a rucksack containing everything to a roadbike does not help.
:? I take exactly the same with me when i am out on the MTB as i do when out on the road bike. Just make sure i have the right quick link and a different inner tube.

(Might tweak the load if i'm going out for more than about 40 miles on the MTB.......)

Slay 'em by taking a Bonk Bag :)

I stick tool and spare type things in a small bag under the saddle, pockets are for food :D

Shaun

PS I think the real name is Musette

I'll add my 2p worth:
Topeak Hexus II, Topeak Rocket Micro Pump and a Parktool Patch Kit will be enough to survive the vast majority of mechanicals and several punctures. That is provided your bike and tyres are already sound and don't have any strange
fittings or bolts requiring a spanner.

Added luxuries include an innertube, Presta to Schrader valve adapter for putting higher pressure in when you pass a petrol station, some duct tape wrapped around the pump for tyre repairs, one sturdy tire lever, a few extra chain links and a decent spoke key with a few spare spokes taped to the chainstay.

As for the wallet, leave it behind in favor of a couple of £10 notes and credit card. Phone is a personal choice - for the past couple of years I leave mine behind which heralds back to the unplugged time of the early 90s. OS map will fold in the back pocket fine. Keys you can always put under the plant pot on the way out, or just take the few you actually need. A banana, some jelly beans, 750ml bottle and you are good to go.

I do 150 Km rides mixed on-road and off-road on my own through some pretty remote parts of Sweden with the above; I still favor paper maps instead of GPS too BTW, but don't know why you would need it when there is probably a Clubrun Leader who knows the way. I never use a bag of any sort - road or XC, all in the jersey pockets easily.

For the fig rolls, simply stuff the whole packet in your mouth prior to the ride - the sugar high will leave your new cycling buddies fighting for your wheel at every town sign sprint and prime.

Woz":14fu9ve5 said:
I'll add my 2p worth:
Topeak Hexus II, Topeak Rocket Micro Pump and a Parktool Patch Kit will be enough to survive the vast majority of mechanicals and several punctures. That is provided your bike and tyres are already sound and don't have any strange
fittings or bolts requiring a spanner.

Added luxuries include an innertube, Presta to Schrader valve adapter for putting higher pressure in when you pass a petrol station, some duct tape wrapped around the pump for tyre repairs, one sturdy tire lever, a few extra chain links and a decent spoke key with a few spare spokes taped to the chainstay.

As for the wallet, leave it behind in favor of a couple of £10 notes and credit card. Phone is a personal choice - for the past couple of years I leave mine behind which heralds back to the unplugged time of the early 90s. OS map will fold in the back pocket fine. Keys you can always put under the plant pot on the way out, or just take the few you actually need. A banana, some jelly beans, 750ml bottle and you are good to go.

I do 150 Km rides mixed on-road and off-road on my own through some pretty remote parts of Sweden with the above; I still favor paper maps instead of GPS too BTW, but don't know why you would need it when there is probably a Clubrun Leader who knows the way. I never use a bag of any sort - road or XC, all in the jersey pockets easily.

For the fig rolls, simply stuff the whole packet in your mouth prior to the ride - the sugar high will leave your new cycling buddies fighting for your wheel at every town sign sprint and prime.

Sound advice there, I am sure I am worrying for nothing. All will be fine I am sure :)

Getting excited now :)

Back