The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, am about to pick up a couple of road bikes this week and am thinking of trying out clipless.

I gather that cleats fit all shoes but are pedal specific?

Any advice on sizing- I am a regular uk 10 so can anybody say which come up bigger/smaller etc?

Also which system would be best for road only use?

Looking to buy used, hopefully a single road bike's worth initially.

Thanks in anticipation THM

Always saw them as the devil's work. Does it mean your foot is fixed or can you rotate slightly it without it popping out?

Re: Advice on clipless pedals and shoes please for road use

Hmmmm do you use clips on mountain bike? I'm guessing no with some of the questions?

Personally as you ride loads of MTB I'd go down shimano spd route

-easier to use (Clip both sides or even get the ones that have normal pedal and clips)
- loads of float on them
-swap between road / Mtb
-walk around easy with Mtb shoes

Just random thoughts

Road cleats use a 3 bolt triangle fitting i use shimano r540 pedals which are the cheapest in the range and have never had any trouble with them. The cleats are pedal specific but at 25 quid for a pair of pedals and cleats new thats not really relevant. The yellow tipped shimano cleats offer I think 12 degrees of lateral movement and the red ones give I think 6. Because the 540, s are entry level they come with the yellow ones as standard, you can adjust the release tension but I find halfway with yellows fine and have never come unclipped. I use shimano r63 shoes which cost 50 and again they have never given any trouble in the 4 years ive had them and my friend uses the same pedals with specialized shoes. Im a 9 and the shimano shoes are a 9 and fit just fine.

No clips on mtb nor will I. I like being able to step off off road and to move around a bit.

Double sided sounds good, so no delay messing about. Can you walk properly in road shoes?

No you walk like you shat yourself and you should avoid polished floors but..... road shoes dont bend in the middle like mountain bike ones so in theory giving better power transfer. I use road cleats on the road and mountain bike shoes with flats off road, I dont feel confident clipped in off roadbut strangely I find it awful to try and ride a road bike without being clipped in. My suggestion would be to find someone witha spd equipped road bike and try it out

Been offered som spd pedals to try but need to commit to shoes. Are sizes so distend and how should they fit on purchase? Lbs awaits?

SPD pedals for me here too :) The Shimano shoes seem to be sized for small Jap feet. I think my Shimano shoes are 2 sizes bigger than my "real" size.......

Shaun

Any advance on two sizes? I'm a ten in shoes, 10.5 in salomons and Adidas.

I'm a regular uk 9 and my shimano shoes are 9 but go to Evans and try some on

sounds like a plan. Thanks guys

Back