Advice from Dutch members

CAS

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All,

We are off to Holland at the end of next week to the Friesland area. We shall have the camper and a couple of bikes.

Any suggestions for interesting cycle rides? My husband doesn't really like off road but tracks and paths through various terrain is great. Campsite recommendations also welcome particularly if suitable for campers.

We visited this area a few years ago but without much time to stop so we are going back for a better look.

Dank u wel

Carol

I lived in Groningen for a couple of years. Cycling is good overthere. The city Goningen is also nice for staying. Highly recommended too: Drenthe! Maybe start in Groningen city and ride to the south to Haren, Glimmen, Zuidlaren and beyond. You're in Drenthe than.

The north of Groningen is also interesting if you like old polders. Opt for the small road though. Not those next to car roads.

I do not know how is cycling in Friesland. Maybe you could get a Koga or Batavus factory tour in Heerenveen?

Enjoy your stay!

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestions - were you at OWMBTC last year? We were there in the camper and I was riding a little Orange C16R.

Looks like we will be back in Schoorl at the start of the holiday dropping a bike off for ededwards!

We always enjoy viisting Holland and we'll have a look at the places you suggest.

Many thanks

Carol

Hi Carol,

Yes, I were participant in Schoorl. I am Melvin in real live. I will attending this years edition in UK too. It will be 1st time since long ago I am back in UK. I am looking forward to it.

Drop off a bike for Ed :shock: What is he up too? Exporting bikes into Holland :?

Sorry, I can't tell you more on Friesland. I haven't made bike rides there, except for an off road ride in Appelscha. My perception of Friesland is that it is especially nice by boat. Villages as Sneek, Leeuwarden among more are really worth to pay a visit. You could visit VVV.nl for additional tourist information, if you wasn't already familiar with that source.

Toured there for a couple of days once. Lovely picturesque towns and windmills but flat as a very flat thing, devoid of much trees and somewhat windy. I found it hard work as you pedalled all the time like riding a fixie as no hills to coast down :roll:

Getting about by boat is good and the train system is fantastic and bike friendly. ;)

velomaniac":1nkwvvop said:
Toured there for a couple of days once. Lovely picturesque towns and windmills but flat as a very flat thing, devoid of much trees and somewhat windy. I found it hard work as you pedalled all the time like riding a fixie as no hills to coast down :roll:

Getting about by boat is good and the train system is fantastic and bike friendly. ;)

Interesting you say that - it is surprisngly hard work riding in Holland on the flat just for that reason - no downhill. If you get a headwind too there's no respite!

We go to Holland most years as we have friends there!

Love the place myself, been there at least 3 times but next time I take a bike I'm heading for Limberg, I need hills :LOL:

Elev12k":29bojx96 said:
Hi Carol,

Drop off a bike for Ed :shock: What is he up too? Exporting bikes into Holland :?

If I've understood correctly this bike is intended for you - it's a Dave Yates - however we are dropping it off at Roy's ( if he let's Ed know his address!) and hopefully parking there overnight to get another ride in around Schoorl

Bike is on the back of the camper ready - Ed dropped it off tonight

Back