Adventure Touring on a Cannondale Silk?

Malvern Rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Have found myself the owner of one of these (a modern classic?) - caad2 frame, 1inch headshok (w/lockout) straight-blade forks, magura hydros and 3x7 setup. Anyone used something like this off the tarmac? Have never done any distance on an alu road-bike before so somewhat curious as to what to expect - although this beastie looks to be something a bit 'special'. Have yet to discover quit what type of 'special' that is yet will report in full after maiden voyage.

^ Yeah I saw those, eyewatering price - and is it just me or does that leftie look like massive overkill? I'm sure it's optimally designed but by looks alone it makes me go 'eh'? This 16/17 yr old Silk Tour had me thinking if it was the 'proto' gravel/offroad touring bike almost by accident. I was looking at dumping 1k finance on a Specialized AWOL before coming across the 'Dale so it's saved me some debt, we'll see about the performance...

BTW I'm loving the look of the 2016 Touring Ultra tho...even if it's missing a 1" Headshok ;)

Cannondale-Touring-Ultimate-2016.jpg

Should be great for light off-roading.

The only thing to check is that Cannondale tourers did tend to have toe overlap - fine for a road bike (if not exactly optimal) but not terrific fun wrestling a loaded bike.

I ride something similar - Magura HS77 drop levers, 1.5" tyres, mudguards etc although I run 26" wheels on a Marin frame. It's a great go anywhere / do anything machine.

Back