Adaptations for disability

I'll be keeping a close look on this thread. I myself have mild cerebral palsy to my left side which makes left hand shifting a right tw@! It sometimes means walking up hills that I wanted to ride up all because I can't get to the shifter fast enough. Braking isn't too bad but tricky for the rear sometimes.

The Di2 worked well for the Amercian chap. He had no left hand, just a rest for his stump. He'd had to get used to right hand front brake with everything on the right.

This pic rings a distant bell - I'm sure the 'rear' brake was a bar end TT style lever

shimano-di2.jpg

This chap seems to just have the one brake with a barcon for the front shifter

_79460985_poster.jpg

Re:

No doubt there's some exciting developments around. Unfortunately being on sick leave is not an invitation to spend a couple of grand, unless someone can add some cheeky extra weights to my lottery balls!

I'm going to try to lash something up in the first instance around a road frame and some modern DA kit, 7800 or 7900 10 speed, cause that's what i happen to have. I'll have to sell on some kit to raise some cash though.

Got some presents coming tomorrow from the postie :D

Re:

Thanks everyone very much for the ideas. Everything is taking ten times longer than before but I now have an almost complete, one-arm-built, left hand controlled retrobike!

I think I found probably the most straightforward way, Di2 aside (I couldn't on a retrobike even if it was no expense spared).

The Paul Duplex brake lever pulls two cables simultaneously and can be mounted left or right - it was invented for bike polo apparently, brilliant. Independent adjustment is then a matter of cable tension. The shifters are just Shimano ten speed thumbies, designed for road mechanisms not mtb, with the rear mounted upside down. You can probably see that the only problem looks like water would get in at the silver lever, but dry days only for me anyway. The upshot is everything can be done without taking the good hand off the bars, possibly an advantage over bar-ends.

Straight bars for the mounting diameters of the clamps but otherwise no compromises (apart from 10 speed if that counts). More piccies when it's done - need to get a fork painted.

Attachments

• _MG_3524.jpg
    _MG_3524.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 376
Back