A rumour that might interest some of you guys......

John":2wy8ud0n said:
It's not hard to find spares for old Judys - they are so common you can pick up a whole fork for more or less the same price TFT would want for a small part like a fork leg cap.
But how many of them have usable elastomers and damper cartridges? Most RS elastomers are shot in my (admittedly limited) experience.

Anthony":1ihywaoj said:
John":1ihywaoj said:
It's not hard to find spares for old Judys - they are so common you can pick up a whole fork for more or less the same price TFT would want for a small part like a fork leg cap.
But how many of them have usable elastomers and damper cartridges? Most RS elastomers are shot in my (admittedly limited) experience.

Er, how long is a piece of string? How deep is the ocean?

Sure, it was sueful to get the odd piece from TFT but him not stocking RS spares for pre 99 forks is hardly the end of the world for Judy owners is it?

If the elastomers are shot put springs in. They were crap anyhow.

Dread to think how much TFT would want for a damping cart. You could probably buy a few pairs of Judys until you found a good set :LOL: Failing that the earlier carts were rebuildable.

Anthony":31yvcw2g said:
jonnyboy666":31yvcw2g said:
my guess would tf tuned, tim bought shit loads of stuff from madison when they stopped doing rockshox, that's where my NOS mag 20 crown/steerer came from.
most of it will be useless to tim after a certain period, lets face it his market is forks up to 3 years old, after that alot of the time they end up in hack bikes and run till they are past economical repair then binned.
I agree it's most likely TFT, but I think he does go back rather further than three years and makes a genuine attempt to help out those with older forks. However RS themselves are no good with supplying older parts, so there comes a time when his stock of parts is so depleted that he can no longer offer a comprehensive service for a particular fork/vintage. When that time comes, he has to say he can't service say Judys older than 99 and then what parts he does have left for Judys older than 99 become useless to him and he sells them. So my understanding is that whatever forks he is selling the parts for, he's not going to be able to service that fork in future (and that means nobody else can either), so owners should buy the parts even if they don't need them yet.

And although I understand what you're saying at the end there, it isn't always true. A mid 90s Zaskar and a yellow Judy SL is a match made in heaven and together they make a classic retro bike, and certainly not a hack! So I think it's a shame that old Judy SLs can't be serviced any longer.

There are springs available and very affordable that work quite well on the old Judy SL's. Have retrofitted near a dozen of them already. I think Enduro seal still makes a seal for them also what more do you need?

@ anthony,

i didn't mean our stuff was hacks!!! :LOL: i meant, to modern bike riders when their stuff becomes old but not retro and has been passed through a couple of owners even a rather nice fork can end up in a beater bike for a cheap price because is knackered, some forks will always retain a certain value or cache to some people but to others it's just an old model fork that will hold the wheel to the frame!

and i know tim through the trade, he has always been most helpful and has forgotten more than i will ever know about suspension! what i meant by the 3 year comment is tim is someone whose business is aimed at the performance rider and that person tends to want the newer kit which means he'll see the more recent forks more regularly, as that owner then sells that fork it will probably end up with someone who wants a bargain/cheap fork, that person doesn't usually bother with servicing, they just wait for it to die then buy another bargain fork, like a hand me down situation. i used to see it all the time in the shop, i'd sell a good customer a new fork and he'd ask for the old one back, 2 weeks later a mate of his would walk in with the same fork to be fitted to his bike.

Location......

The UK eBay (but probably listed as available to most foreign countries as well, but dont quote me on that).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back