A Kona Explosif in limbo...

I agree with Anthony too. The chainstay's the most vulnerable bit, I shouldn't think there are any other nasties hiding.

Stick Legs":s8ddrykn said:
I worry about the rest though.
This may need some consideration... :?
Thanks for the link, Argos would have been repainting anyway.
I think Argos would blast it and check it over anyway, and then advise you what the position is. I'd be surprised if it was rusty all over, I've never heard of that before in one of these, but the chainstay could be the most vulnerable part.

I agree with Orange71 about Argos being a bit pricey, but do bear in mind that they have been the official Kona repairer for a very long time and will have more experience of working on these frames than anybody else in the UK. I would certainly send it to them for a recommendation rather than scrapping it just on a supposition.

It was never going to be scrapped, at worst I was going to have a go at refinishing it myself (to teah me how to do a good job) then sticker and display.

I am going to send her up to Argos in the next few weeks, budget £250 including paint and see what happens. At very worst they strip all the old paint off for me, at best she is good to go for another 10 years!

I must admit after selling my Pace I had no clue what to buy, but the Explosif was love at 1st sight. I would only consider another high end Canadian frame in its place.

Will keep you all posted. :D

Attachments

• Explosif rust.JPG
    Explosif rust.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,362
Here is a taster of the build. The components so far including NOS M737 XT chainset and Ritchey Logic levers.

Attachments

• Explosif garnish.jpg
    Explosif garnish.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 427
Back