A good story...

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
This item appeared in the "Berwickshire Gazette" last year. I have not been able to verify the "facts" - but it's a good story anyway!

Two traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident whilst checking for speeding motorists on the A1 road last May. They were using a hand-held radar device to trap unwary motorists on the Edinburgh to London trunk road. One of the unnamed officers used the device to check the speed of an approaching vehicle, and was surprised to find that his target had registered a speed in excess of 300 miles per hour. The 5000 pounds worth of machine then seized up and could not be reset by the bemused Policemen. The radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado aircraft in the North Sea, which was taking part in a simulated low-flying exercise over the Borders and Southern Scotland. Following a complaint by the Chief Constable of the Lothian & Borders Police force to the RAF liaison office, it was revealed that the officers had a lucky escape - the tactical computer on board the aircraft not only detected and jammed the "hostile" radar equipment, but had automatically armed an air-to-ground missile ready to neutralise the perceived threat. Luckily the Dutch pilot was alerted to the missile status and was able to override the automatic protection system before the missile launched. The Police have so far declined to comment, although it is understood that officers will be advised to point their radar guns inland in future.

:shock: :LOL: :LOL: Like to have seen ol bills face if he had set off the missile

that is very true and those policemen were nearly fried.

squirrels falling out of trees have set off speed cameras too.

...and there was me spending loads of money on laser jammers and blinders on my car turning it into a stealth car,when all i needed is a self arming laser guided/detecting missile launcher. Hmmmm.....i wonder.....www.ebay.com/search/missile launcher........... :twisted:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
bojangle":10uaq8ti said:
...and there was me spending loads of money on laser jammers and blinders on my car turning it into a stealth car,when all i needed is a self arming laser guided/detecting missile launcher. Hmmmm.....i wonder.....www.ebay.com/search/missile launcher........... :twisted:

Try throwing torn up pieces of tin foil out the front of the car if you get a lock.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Iwasgoodonce":339xqdan said:
bojangle":339xqdan said:

Try throwing torn up pieces of tin foil out the front of the car if you get a lock.

Yeah you could rig up a little tube fired by compressed air
;)

Attachments

• hercules4 (Large).jpg
    hercules4 (Large).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 763
When I used to do land surveying I was warned about pointing our instrument ( which used an infra red beam to lock onto and track a prism that could be a few km away....) at any form of military or police aircraft as it could set off missile lock alarms!!! Not sure about the automatic fire back bit, although when a pilot friend of mine was training in the usa, they flew next to a usaf base and if they tuned their radios to a specific frequency, they were giving of the same signal as training drones the fighter pilots were supposed to be shooting at!!! they were also swiftly warned of the dangers!!!

rosstheboss":hl9bdodb said:
When I used to do land surveying I was warned about pointing our instrument ( which used an infra red beam to lock onto and track a prism that could be a few km away....) at any form of military or police aircraft as it could set off missile lock alarms!!! Not sure about the automatic fire back bit, although when a pilot friend of mine was training in the usa, they flew next to a usaf base and if they tuned their radios to a specific frequency, they were giving of the same signal as training drones the fighter pilots were supposed to be shooting at!!! they were also swiftly warned of the dangers!!!

Which instrument did you use? (I'm a survey geek). I was nearly shot by an obviously visually impared sentry. The idiot thought the Geodimeter height measurer I was carrying was a handgun. It could be I suppose if I was Mr Spock!

Back