A couple of pieces I've made during the pandemic

Had a really Crap week so far. I can't ride when I'm in a mood (the bike gets thrown in a hedge/river/under a car), but smacking metal about works.

Take an old leaf spring;
IMG_0129.jpg

cut some off, weld a bar to it and heat, beat, repeat;
IMG_0130.jpg

Once roughly to shape, give it a tickle with the grinder;
IMG_0132.jpg

That'll do for tonight.

Last edited:
Padauk or Bubinga for the handle ?

I always feel some of these handles are too too busy, and it detracts away from the workmanship needed to produce the blade.
African Padauk
https://www.wood-database.com/african-padauk/
Padauk is such a glorious red, almost bloody sometimes.
Bubinga
https://www.wood-database.com/bubinga/

Or what about Purpleheart :D as seen on the Tally Ho boat build.
That would give you a lovely purple hue initially, but as the knife is used over time it will become a very nice nut brown.

All above are hard timbers so will wear slowly.

dyna-ti":2407q1fi said:
I always feel some of these handles are too too busy, and it detracts away from the workmanship needed to produce the blade.

On the whole, I agree with a few exceptions. A very dull blade can be improved with a special handle, but generally simple aesthetics work better for me. I'm not a huge fan of Damascus steels for the same reasons. All of my handles are based on the feel of them, which gives them a very typical (boring) shape. Weird shaped handles just aren't nice to use.

I'm far from talented at this, so the risk of getting something wrong is very high. That means that I'm trying not to spend any money on fancy materials so as not to be wasteful. The leopard wood (an Australian source) was one a of a few scales I bought last year (not in Australia!!), most of my handles are from reclaimed/recycled sources in the UK and would be destined for the bin/fire.

I've afew bits I can send you. for free obviously
First off is a nice piece of i think oak, air dried if it is the scrap of a gigantic set of gates i did a few year back.
Very ripply . Had it sat on the windowsill the last few months, but when you shape it you'll get the original golden colour.
370mmx15mmx47mm

Next is a piece of this Bubinga plank( not all of it ;) )
Probably give you about 2-3 times the average size needed lengthwise :? 200mmx100mmx19mm

Attachments

• DSCF3815 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3815 (Custom).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 885
  • DSCF3817 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3817 (Custom).JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 885
  • DSCF3818 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3818 (Custom).JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 885
:LOL: OMG - nice work and side hobby to MTB’s

What are you going to make out of the disc rotor you can see in one of the pics above .... a throwing star to go with the Katana you could make from a whole leaf spring !

Remind me not to upset you - ever !

Back