'98 Specialized Ground Control FSR (Updated 07/13)

Cheers Khane... I have a few bits I'd like to swap over from my hardtail, but tbh it rides so well bone-stock that I'm going to concentrate on riding it as much as possible for the foreseeable future. One thing I would like to know, I think mine has its original tyres on (they're specialized anyway), what tyres work well with these? Every bike I've ever bought has always come with crap tyres from the factory, so I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that these did too.

kaferboy":3do6f8w6 said:
Cheers Khane... I have a few bits I'd like to swap over from my hardtail, but tbh it rides so well bone-stock that I'm going to concentrate on riding it as much as possible for the foreseeable future. One thing I would like to know, I think mine has its original tyres on (they're specialized anyway), what tyres work well with these? Every bike I've ever bought has always come with crap tyres from the factory, so I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that these did too.

Hmm tyres, they're kind of a personal thing really, I'm sure most people have favorites can't really say as I do though.

I've previously run all sorts on mine.
Smoke & Dart
WTB Velociraptor F&R
WTB Velo F & Knobby nick R

All worked well, but then they are proven decent tyres.
If you happen to want a set of either the smoke/dart or WTB velos, I do happen to have some I could part with. :LOL:

One thing I will say, if you truly want to enjoy an FSR.
Invest in an aircan shock, it really does make a world of difference to the responsiveness of the rear end.

Re: FSR

Here us my FSR. I bought it (instead of a car)when I was 17 in 1998 and it's been my regular ride since. Its been upgraded along the way as things have broken or become obsolete.

Attachments

• WP_20140619_13_01_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140619_13_01_33_Pro.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 594
Hello, sorry for the late reply. The bike runs an xtr transmission which I'm guessing was fitted 7-8 years ago when the original Shimano set up failed I also fitted deore hollowtech front crank and bottom bracket but if I'm honest I wish id gone for a higher end bottom bracket as I've had a couple now but a £8 its not the end of the world to treat them as a consumable. I'm still running xtr v-brakes on the rear and have no plans to replace them and up front I've got a hope m8 4pot brake with a 23cm rotor, it is total over kill but when I fitted it in 2001 I thought it was cool! The wheels are Mavic 717xc rims with hope titanium hubs running ceramic bearing's, these have been on roughly 10 years and have been absolutely faultless. I run a standard rockshox deluxe rear shock and up front I have a rockshox recon which has good bump and rebound adjustment, it also has a travel adjustment of between 85mm and 130mm and remote lock out. I tend to run with 100mm of travel. Any nuts and bolts that have been replace over the years have been replaced with titanium, resulting in everything except the stem cap bolt being titanium.
I have tried to upgrade my bike without losing its handling and character hence the fairly primitive suspension set up. On the face of it it looks like a glamour bike with its ritchey carbon seat post,bars and titanium bolts everywhere but it has evolved over nearly sixteen years and this is the way it's turned out and I love it.

Latest posts

Back