'97 Explosif Build - Updated 11th August '09

Anthony":3ql3q51e said:
Be aware that a number of people have pursued a 97 Explosif as their dream bike and then sold it again as they found they didn't actually like it that much. For a steel bike it's quite stiff, and the Kilauea is logically a more suitable road bike, as it weighs the same but it's more compliant.

Arguably Columbus Max was the 'best' steel tube for xc racing as its stiff:light ratio was unsurpassed. The only reason it wasn't more widely used was that it was fearfully expensive, owing to the cost of biovalising the tubes. Kona were never ones to spend 3p when they could get away with 2p, so I can only assume that they did a killer deal with Columbus when Max was nearing the end of its production life, otherwise they would never have used it. But as I say, its merits as an xc racing tube don't necessarily make it the most suitable for other purposes.

I'm no expert, but I don't think they made a black SID until well into something called the 21st century, which apparently happened after retro finished. Clearly it would be a crime against retro to fit anything like that, and unfortunately the lads would have to come round and confiscate it off you. A pity in a way, but you've got to have rules, haven't you?

I think a 97/8 Pace RC36 would work ok on the 70mm setting, but they were quite long, so it would still knock the geometry out a bit.

Would that be a'97 Kilauea? I quite fancy a '94 in white!! :cool:

Mind you, I have got some fat (2.3) road tyres :LOL:

Yes rules are rules, it would be a shame to lose it ;)

But I'd still want a fork that functions well, maybe I'll try my Pace RC36 Evo's :?

Cheers
wad

Very nice! Frame looks in excellent nick. I built one up last year, quite similar to yours but I found the 17inch frame slightly too small so sold it on.

Trevor.

Attachments

• 97 Explosif 017 (Small).jpg
    97 Explosif 017 (Small).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,234
Thorpie":1t7oup1e said:
Very nice! Frame looks in excellent nick. I built one up last year, quite similar to yours but I found the 17inch frame slightly too small so sold it on.

Trevor.

Tbh Trevor you might say mine was 'Thorpie inspired' ;)

that colour (frame) is the absolute bollocks.....I HAVE to get me one of those.....thats one of the nicest bikes if seen in a while :cool:

sex one":1mxxrk3u said:
that colour (frame) is the absolute bollocks.....I HAVE to get me one of those.....thats one of the nicest bikes if seen in a while :cool:

Thanks very much, makes it all worthwhile! :D

wadsy":d5z76sxh said:
FluffyChicken":d5z76sxh said:
You mentioned the forks (colour) I wasn't going to say anything as I had already critisised :LOL: and didn't want to over do it. :oops:

But my thought was they did a grey-ish colour I think as standard for P2's and the grey would blend in with the groupset and seatclamp and that may be the colour to go for.

Yep, kinda what I was thinking :)

yeah...do that...it will look even better then ;)

ps wanna sell the xt rear mech? :D

sex one":1bxrppb2 said:
wadsy":1bxrppb2 said:
FluffyChicken":1bxrppb2 said:
You mentioned the forks (colour) I wasn't going to say anything as I had already critisised :LOL: and didn't want to over do it. :oops:

But my thought was they did a grey-ish colour I think as standard for P2's and the grey would blend in with the groupset and seatclamp and that may be the colour to go for.

Yep, kinda what I was thinking :)

yeah...do that...it will look even better then ;)

ps wanna sell the xt rear mech? :D

Probably not thanks, even if I get an XTR one I think I'll keep it for another project :roll:

FluffyChicken":epdl4eei said:

Absolutely, go with the gun metal grey. Not only was it the standard colour but it'll complement the graphics. Please avoid a black seat post, it won't go with the rest, as Anthony says - don't mix and match!

I love the '97 range of colours and graphics (for obvious reasons).

Back