'95 Kona AA

I broked it

:cry:

bent_hangar.jpg

did this at the end of Jan and still not got round to taking it to a shop. I suspect it's going to need to visit more than just a bike workshop to fix this one

Having trouble bringing myself to actually deal with it *sigh*

The missus has very wonderfully said that I can single speed it if it's properly borked...which potentially means a new bike, haha

Oooh. :? Did you hit a rock by any chance?

They dont have replaceable hangers do they? Think that was the last year they didnt?

Following the "crap advice" thread I dont want to guesstimate, but I would doubt that an aluminium frame of that age can be manipulated back straight from a bend in the dropouts, without comprimising the strength to an extent where it is dangerous. Single speed would be an option, but only if you can put wheels in it as it is?

BobCatMax":23bfbpyh said:
I broked it

:cry:

bent_hangar.jpg

gutted for you mate.
it's the first time i've seen this thread. was looking through the story from the start and apart from my mates old '97 kula, that's the one of the nicest ally kona's i've seen.

i very much doubt there's anything you can do with it in that state. :cry:
apart from singlespeed it.

Before "singlespeeding" it, you should try to bend the hanger back. Put a disposable derailleur there, pump up your muscles or call your favourite weightlifting buddy and apply force gradually to it until you bring it back. I know this is aluminium, but what's really to lose???

I hope it works out well!
Mx

-Not quite coomber, the mech got tangled in brambles on the last ride, and i thought it looked ok, but obviously wasn't. When i changed into the big cog at the back, it hit something and got stuck on a spoke, ripped it up and round and pulled it out.

bent & twisted hangar, inner thread stripped. I've been told that it might be possible to warm it and bend it back, but if there are any stress fractures it's kaput. The wheel slots in fine, at least so i can SS it as a last resort. Interestingly, the latest shadow (?) mech has a no hangar system on it, so that may be an option if i've got a few hundered quid laying about :LOL:

-Thank you albash. not bad considering that first pic on page 1 shows you what i got for £40...entered and won my first mtb comp on it last year too. I hope so much that it's recoverable

-thanks Mx, that's kind of what i'm thinking although a little less "Heath Robinson"

will keep you posted when i finally get round to dropping it off at a workshop somewhere

It might be worth taking it to some engineering company to get it put back correctly?

oops

BobCatMax":1pzt9nc0 said:
-will keep you posted when i finally get round to dropping it off at a workshop somewhere

Ah man, gutted dude.... First time I have seen this thread too and it was like watching 'Knowing' intriguing and eye catching all the way through to a shite ending :cry:

Hopefully it will get sorted though, good build :D

Back