930 -- frankenbike?

DrDaveTampa

Old School Hero
Was looking for a bike to rehab for my son-in-law, and came across this for a good price. I bought it. Just curious what it was I bought, exactly.

Appears to have RS Indy fork, which I understand came out in '97. As for the frame, based on color, groupset (STX) and the threaded headset, I was thinking '95, maybe? Most likely an aftermarket fork, no?

True Temper OX double butted, according to the sticker. Way I look at it, that was worth the price of admission. Fact it's tuned up and running well is a bonus.

I have enough parts to build up from bare frame, but I dunno. I've read STX is nothing to scream about, but it works. All it needs is some powdercoat really, and whatever seat and bars he wants. Some polish. And a fork of course. May slap a Stridsland in there; dying to see one of those in person

Attachments

• 930.jpg
    930.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 39
The seller put a new fork on there for me -- super nice guy -- but now is concerned because the brakes don't fit

I'm looking at that fork and i'm pretty sure I can put brakes on that thing -- don't canti's and V-brakes use the same kinda stud? I mean, a stud's a stud, right?

What, did he unscrew the studs out of that suspension fork? I told him to just screw em back in and don't sweat it lol

Attachments

• stud.jpg
    stud.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 18
A Trek 9xx series is a nice build for any purpose, I personally wouldn't powdercoat it, the colour combo is nice.
And the thing with studs happens! At least to me quite regularly, sometimes the brake sticks to the stud better than the stud to the fork. Bit of WD40 here and tiny bit of glue there gets the stud back there.

So that's a spinner fork on there now. My thinking is, close enough. I even wonder if Spinner wasn't supplying forks to Trek in that mid-90's period?

I *may* try to polish up the finish, but it's pretty grim in person...

Velocals is getting out of the bicycle decal business as of yesterday, I'm assuming they will sell off whatever stock they have. Bought a set of 930 decals just in case.

Which, hm. It's mainly the decals that are all chewed up. If I can get those off without screwing up the paint, it may polish up pretty nice actually. What, do I go after it with a heat gun or something?

So that's a spinner fork on there now. My thinking is, close enough. I even wonder if Spinner wasn't supplying forks to Trek in that mid-90's period?

I *may* try to polish up the finish, but it's pretty grim in person...

Velocals is getting out of the bicycle decal business as of yesterday, I'm assuming they will sell off whatever stock they have. Bought a set of 930 decals just in case.

Which, hm. It's mainly the decals that are all chewed up. If I can get those off without screwing up the paint, it may polish up pretty nice actually. What, do I go after it with a heat gun or something?
Hairdryer and patience. Nothing hotter. They may well peel at that.

^word

Welp, it looks better than it did a couple of hours ago, I guess.

May have to make this my gator bike. You know, sort of a swamp buggy concept. Already have one fancy-schmancy build in the queue. One of those is enough.

Will admit, this color scheme could be good camoflage. Long as there's nothing shiny on it to attract the gators' attention.

Hm. I can still barely see "REK" on the side. Wonder if I can source a "SHREK" decal

Attachments

• decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Hm. It doesn't make rat bike if I say so myself.

Those XTR brakes are pretty awesome. Not very ratty but I've about had it up to here with canti's and that's what I had. And it is a gator bike after all. It's surprisingly hard to outrun a gator once he's stirred up; it's not speed you want, it's brakes. They like to sun themselves right in the middle of the trail, and I don't bunny hop very well

Attachments

• gatorbike1.jpg
    gatorbike1.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 12
  • gatorbike2.jpg
    gatorbike2.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back