'92 Breezer Sky - Build Thread

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Well - a funny thing happened on the way to the forum....

I spotted this Breezer Sky and picked it up the other day. I realise it is low end - but I didn't want something top end.
Having looked closer - it is almost perfectly original - as far as I can tell as it isn't in any catalogues

The Breezer stem is lovely with internal brake cable routing - very good condition Ritchey Megabites and Ritchey grips.
Very tidy Araya RX-7 rims on LX hubs.
Mostly LX kit with DX brakes - all the date codes are '91 - PE though to PJ.

So given that it appears so original - should I leave it exactly as it is?
Or do I carefully label and stash the original bits I take off it - at this moment just the handlebars and some cable outers - and stick some cruiser bars on it?
I read recently that JB's inspiration for his Breezers was the Schwinn paint scheme - and as I'm after turning this into more of a cruiser type ride - I thought this was kinda appropriate.

IMG_4421.jpg

Last edited:
With you there @fatfixie - as it has all original kit, I’m leaving it on there. Everything works beautifully- I’d forgotten how smooth thumbies are 😁
I’d cleaned and polished the wheels before the new tyres arrived and they are tidy.
The mechs are grubby and will get attacked with a toothbrush.
Brakes are tarnished but a buff with a scotch pad will bring them back. The canti mounting bolts are rusty and will be replaced, likewise cables.

Great looking bike - no such thing as a low-end Breezer :)

My advice would be to do whatever it takes to put a smile on your face when you ride it / comfortable and looking the biz. Some classy riser bars out there - Nitto do MTB repops etc.

My advice would be to do whatever it takes to put a smile on your face when you ride it / comfortable and looking the biz. Some classy riser bars out there - Nitto do MTB repops etc.

You got me :)
I'd lined up a 1" BMX stem and bars - but then I figured the Breezer stem is too nice to lose.
But the the BMX bars won't go into that as they have a brace.
So given the longer stem and short headtube, I've got some cowhorn-type bars coming, with a bit of rise and sweep :)

Back