'91 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue

LQQK":1f14zoqa said:
Looks like the Prairie Breaker might have a chance to bring the BOTM title Down Under (for the first time too?).

Thanks very much for the kind remark but there are plenty of far more 'generally desireable' bikes posted up every Month. Much as I love the bike, I'd be pretty shoecked if it pulled out a BoTM win!

Sheffield":1f14zoqa said:
My first MTB was a PB. Used it all the time during my time at Hallam Uni; even sprayed it in my Uni halls bedroom! Still have it, albeit not built at the mo'. It is a great frame with geometry ahead of its time. After many bikes, it's still probably the one I will always keep no matter what.. Not sure what year it is, but it came with the Shimano cantis that were really wide (and black), maybe an '91?

My guess is that your PB was a '90 (i.e. before Shimano introduced their 'aero canti's in '91 but after Shogun moved away from rear u-brakes in '89).

i had the team issue version..full xt,revolver chainset,xt seatpost too,same saddle,tioga pedals,arayarm400 rims ith xt hubs ,shock blade forks...very light bike....cost nearly a grand...nice to see one in white like mine.mine had black graphics with me name on thetop tube....

Still riding the 92 Shogun XTR. Hand built Japanese Frame, XTR STI rapidfire. All original except for Tioga Carbo Seat Post (Snapped) and Rear RM-400 Pro rim (split). Suspension Stuffed (can't get parts) so I have to pump them up before I go out. Great Bike - I call it my mid-50's Mercedes. I know the new stuff totally out performs it - but there's nothing like owning a "Classic"

Mike T":1crn199c said:
Still riding the 92 Shogun XTR. Hand built Japanese Frame, XTR STI rapidfire. All original except for Tioga Carbo Seat Post (Snapped) and Rear RM-400 Pro rim (split). Suspension Stuffed (can't get parts) so I have to pump them up before I go out. Great Bike - I call it my mid-50's Mercedes. I know the new stuff totally out performs it - but there's nothing like owning a "Classic"

Welcome Mike. Always good to see another Melbournian on the forum. Is your PB red? I have a vague recollection of the '92 M900 model being that colour.

If you're ever thinking about getting rid of the bike or trading to a newer model... ;)

The XTR is Galactic Black (has a very fine green speckle through it). The only Red bike in the range that year was the PB Expert.( I cheat as I still have the catalogue)

I had that exact model - full XT in Camo green.

Mine had been bought by a Bristol radio DJ who didn't take to mountain biking, and came to me almost unused. It had Bike Tech stickers, from which I guess Caratti Sport (later UK distributors of RockShox, GT and Syncros among other brands) may have handled Shogun distribution in the UK.

I also had a purple Shogun Katana road bike that I toured around Australia and NZ in the mid nineties, including a brief stint as a bike messenger in Melbourne. It had the "triple triangle" frame design, Shimano Light Action derailleur, Suzue freewheel hubs and a Sugino GP crank - which I would guess place it somewhere in the mid-to-late eighties. Bought it used from some fancy little roadie shop down Chapel St.

I had a trail breaker as my first proper MTB bought Chrimbo 92 it had a 200GS group on and was a plain steel frame billed as a 19" but sized like a 21"

By the time I sold the fuselage to a mate it had been upgraded to full 93LX, Manitou 1's, Hope Ti Hubs on 231's along with magura HS33's, not bad on pocket money upgrades at age 15

It was a machine but it couldn't live up to the 95 C16-R which replaced it

Back