91 Merlin retro/modern/custom build (aka the Merlingham)

classen":19dax5q7 said:
brakes_anodized_7.jpg
When do you start the production? ;) (I could use which of them) ...fantastic job.

that fork is a beauty. what is it? :shock:
can't wait to see it on the bike. :cool:
any chance of me getting one some place? :roll:
roy

RockiMtn":2q2bjlcv said:
Scott, so when will you start taking orders for your custom brakes? :cool:

Well if I did that then I wouldn't have the only set now... would I? :mrgreen:

Truth be told, these are home made and haven't yet been proven in real world riding. I have a hunch I will need to play around with the cam profile to achieve that legendary progressive feel of WTB/CC rollercams.

Yes, it's a type II, and Steve is still making them.

classen":1dptum3v said:
RockiMtn":1dptum3v said:
Scott, so when will you start taking orders for your custom brakes? :cool:

Well if I did that then I wouldn't have the only set now... would I? :mrgreen:

Truth be told, these are home made and haven't yet been proven in real world riding. I have a hunch I will need to play around with the cam profile to achieve that legendary progressive feel of WTB/CC rollercams.

Yes, it's a type II, and Steve is still making them.

Well you'd still have THE first ones. And you can always make the following commercial versions slightly different in look so you'd still have THE only one. :LOL:

Speaking of forks, maybe I should have one made for my Thunderbolt. :?

Almost done.

bmc_done.jpg

1. No pedals on it yet.
2. Still playing around with stem height.
3. My brakes need some work. (stay tuned)

The original WTB rollercams had brass bushings press fit into the brake arms and came with a stainless steel cap that fit over the brake post. I'm no engineer, but as far as I can tell this had two benefits.

1. The tolerance between the brake post cap and the brass bushing could be very tight fit since both pieces were provided with the brakes. No need to rely on a good fit between the brake and brake post (likely some variability between frame/fork manufacturers). The brake post cap essentially becomes part of the bike.

2. The cap over the brake post has larger diameter than the brake post/boss reducing lateral compliance (back and forth jiggle). i.e. larger diameter rotating axis provides better stability.

You can see it in the rollercam on the right side here:
minicam_vs_rollercam.jpg

The brakes should be designed something like the drawing on the bottom with a cap over the brake boss and a press fit brass bushing in the brake arm.

My original design based on staring at lots of pictures of WTB and CC rollercams is pictured on the top. I designed the brass bushing to slip fit into the brake arm and then be tightened against the frame by the brake bolts.

rear_post_cap_mod_12.jpg

After speaking with some people much more knowledgable than myself with respect to the original rollercam design I've decided to make some modifications to my brakes. Specifically I wanted to make a brake post cap and pressed in brass bushing.

One problem with my Merlin rear U-brake bosses is that they have a 30 degree slope which will not provide a nice flat surface for the brake arms to rest on.

rear_post_cap_mod_02.jpg

Latest posts

Back