90s - Ugo did not steel only - DeRosa Titanio

gridno27

rBotM Winner
..here comes a the thread of build up a Italian classic road bike by the Maestro Ugo DeRosa - stage 1

Who remember Giro d'Italia 1994. Within the stage to Campitello Matese young Russian rider Jewgeni Bersin destroyed Indurain on the climb.
Indurain later means Bersin had been riding on a moped. This moped was a beautiful DeRosa TITANIO made of Columbus' Titanium tubes in this blue-light blue Gewiss-Ballan Team coulouring.

I got this frame set from a friend, who was luckily for me a little too small for it. The frame set has som scratches but it looks beautiful and has been a good base for my project. My intention is to build up it in 1994 Gewiss-Ballan TechSpec. This means …

latest version of a Campagnolo C-Record 8-speed groupset with Ergopower, Campagnolo Shamal wheels 1st Gen,
a 3ttt cockpit of a Protitanium stem with a 3ttt Ergopower TDF in titanium gun-metal look,

here some pics of this beautiful frame set with the corresponded Team jersey … to enjoy, perhabs like a wonderful wo...

Attachments

• IMG_0215_25.jpg
    IMG_0215_25.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_0211_25.jpg
    IMG_0211_25.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_0212_25.jpg
    IMG_0212_25.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,155
  • IMG_0213_25.jpg
    IMG_0213_25.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,156
  • IMG_0214_25.jpg
    IMG_0214_25.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,160
Absolutely stunning bike, remember the Gewiss team cleaning up in 1994, with wins in Milan San Remo, Flèche Wallone, Liege Bastogne Liege and the Giro.. Berzin, Argentin and Furlan... what a trio, never forget the 1,2 and 3 in Flèche. Iconic bike, what a great project, will watch with interest!

The more I look at the bike, the more I like it. If you ever decide to sell, let me know! Looking forward to the build.

Re:

... and here Stage2

the beauty at the first (shoe) fitting … i.e. nice attractive 1st Gen Campagnolo Shamals - makes an elegant & slender foot

...later these Shamals in clincher version will be completed with a pair of vintage looking Vittoria Open Corsa EVO SC tires

Attachments

• IMG_0493_25.jpg
    IMG_0493_25.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,074
ok - lets start stage 3 ...

what we need for this project - let's start with the Cockpit and see what used the Team Gewiss-Ballan in 90s
here a pic in the origin DeRosa Catalogue ...

we can see a 3ttt ProTitanium stem and a 3ttt Ergopower DUE TDF in titanium finish

this stage during build up you can see Campagnolo Record Headset of 1994, the last in the design of A0D0 from 1st Gen with 2 schmal black rubber rings
on upper & lower cups

here in this stage with following components

handle bar ... 3ttt Ergopower DUE TDF in titan-finish
stem ... 3ttt ProTitanium 120 mm
brakes ... Campagnolo Dual Pivot 1st Gen w/o group name
rear mech ... RD-21E, 1st Gen with jockey wheels w/o ball bearing
bottom bracket ... BB-01CH, similar to a Record type but with a steely axle
crank set .... A040
front mech ... A021
seat post ... A0R2 Aero180 mm
plus the rear wheel of a 1st Gen Shamal in clincher version

further progress will follow ...

Attachments

• IMG_1901_33pct.jpg
    IMG_1901_33pct.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_1902_33pct.jpg
    IMG_1902_33pct.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,002
  • De-Rosa-adv-1994-titanio.jpg
    De-Rosa-adv-1994-titanio.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,003
Cool advert. The whole set up of the Gewiss team de Rosa just works. You certainly apply attention to detail with your build. It’s looking great.
Must admit quite jealous. Probably my favourite road bike as teenager that! :cool:

Re:

so now stage 4 - first more info about the bike and the Team :roll:

Gewiss-Ballan cycling Team founded as Mecair-Ballan in 1993. Ugo DE ROSA delivered the bikes for the Team. Normal teambike was a steel made DE ROSA out of Columbus SLX tubing in classic dark blue

In 1993 the Pjotr Ugrumov became 3rd in Grio d'Italia. But 1994 was the great year for the Team Giorgio Furlan won the Classicissima Milan-San Remo, Tireno-Adriatico and the Criterium Intenational, Moreno Argentin won the Fleche Wallone but the most successfull rider was the Russian Jewgeni Bersin, he won the Doyenne (L-B-L) and 1st in overall Giro d'Italia and later Ugrumov became second overall in 1994 TdF. Especially Fleche Wallone was impressive, the whole team was so dominant and took 1-2-3 with Argentin-Furlan-Bersin. And late in the season Vladeslav Bobrik won the Giro Lombardia.
Later the Team became also well known due systematic Doping. Dr. Michele Ferrari the team doctor in 1994 was a former assistant of Professor Francesco Conconi of Biomedical institute of University of Ferrara, who introduced E.P.O. … 🤦

Ugo DE ROSA startet to build team frames in 1974 for Francesco Moser. from 1985-1989 he sponsored Ariostea with teambikes and in 1990 he started with development with Titanium tubing, which culuminated in the Teambikes of Gewiss-Ballan in 1994. first in a naked titanium finish version seen on the pic of 1-2-3 at Fleche Wallone, (...see the bike of Furlan & Argentin )
later in the year the frames got the typical ice-blue blue coulouring…

but now back to my current build of the 1994 Teambike…
after mount of headset, crankset, brakes and both mechs for front & rear - now the 3rd Gen of Ergopower levers has been placed on the 3ttt handlebar. After correct placement by control with a spirit level, I started to lay the the cables for braking and shifting within the bike. The rear braking cable goes outside under the top tube

In the meantime the missing Selle Italia Flite Titanium and the white Campagnolo pedals has been arrived and mounted accordingly. Further the DE ROSA decals on side of the fork an the Columbus decals on front of the fork has sticked on - now it's looks like more as a Probike

here some further pics of this stage
IMG_1919.jpg IMG_1921_25.jpg IMG_1922_25.jpg IMG_1923_25.jpg Fleche-Wallonne-1994.jpg

.. on the final pic the rear tire has been changed from an used Continental to a brandnew Vittoria OPEN EVO Corsa SC - great tires, I didn't understand why Vittoria closed the production. It's for me the most vintage looking tire as a clincher or a tubular

next time I think I will have finished the build during Xmas days

so wish you all "A Merry Christmas" :xmas-wink:

Last edited:
Back