90's Claud Butler - what model is this?

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Seller lists it as 531 but photo's show a 631 transfer. Going quite cheap if it is 631. Bit big for me so i pass.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You are a very bad influence - I'll let you know what it is when it arrives :p
I'm guessing it's a Dalesman but could be wrong.

I've accumulated enough parts over time that I should be able to put the Yellow Peril together without too much outlay - think a BB is all I'll need to find.

Well spotted on the mudguard eyes. I missed that! I agree it's a quality road/race frame. A bit disappointing if Bluejohn was looking for summat to tour on...

It's just as well I'm a thoroughbred racer 😆
I've got a set of Mavic Open S.U.P. rims with Shimano 600 hubs knocking around that'll go nicely on it, think I've an old set of Cinelli bars and some other bits in the loft. Not sure about BB axle length though, will have to see. It can keep my Ribble 653 company once it's built up!

It's just as well I'm a thoroughbred racer 😆
I've got a set of Mavic Open S.U.P. rims with Shimano 600 hubs knocking around that'll go nicely on it, think I've an old set of Cinelli bars and some other bits in the loft. Not sure about BB axle length though, will have to see. It can keep my Ribble 653 company once it's built up!
113mm BB length if using the FC-6400 shimano 600 crankset

So the frame arrived - but there's not too much more I can add to the detail. There's no model or other clues anywhere - but there was a swing ticket with a few details. This said it was hand built in 631, 68mm bb, 700c max 28c and that was about it. There's a black sticker under the 631 sticker with the ghosting of the lettering that used to be on it which shows it was sold by SJS in Bridgewater - which is quite nice since I'm only a stones throw away from them and the frame has "come home" from the midlands. All in all, it seems like a really nicely made frame and should be very comfortable.

This is a parts bin build, so not for the purists or easily offended 😆 so no hate please...

I've popped the SUP wheelset on with 28c's an 8sp 11-32 cassette, crankset is an old Tiagra double 39/52 with a 105 front derailleur and a Deore XT m750 on the back. Shifters are downtube friction shifters (non-indexed) because that's what I grew up with and feel most comfortable using - shifts up and down as smooth as a smooth thing both front and back. I initially put some old Cinelli drop bars on it but something didn't quite gel for me, so put on some flat bars and hey presto, it just seemed right. This only leaves the problem of brakes, as I don't have any handy for flat bars so ordered a set of levers. I have a Shimano R8000 caliper for the front and an old RX100 caliper for the back which should make sure I can stop.
Can't wait to take it out for a spin when the brake levers arrive.

Back