'89? Specialized Rockhopper Comp

cmags

Retro Newbie
So I picked up this old Rockhopper on craigslist for short money, described as a beat up old Specialized, but upon closer inspection this thing seems to basically have gotten dirty and have some frame wear, and is in otherwise quite good condition, and seems to be mostly original parts, with the exception of an extra long stem (150mm).

I thought this might have been an '89 but I guess that the serial number (GR988894) doesn't necessarily mean anything. I see from spec sheets on Mombat (http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm) that the '88 had the rear U brake and mine has Deore Canti's, but the '89 specs I've seen (from the catalog at viewtopic.php?t=158094) show that the '89 didn't come in black, just yellow and blue/ivory, but the color scheme matches the Stumpjumper and Allez from that year. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also interested in its value, as it is too large for me (21.5", I'm 5'7"). I'd like to continue restoring it and then see if I can find someone who will appreciate riding a classic like this.

Pics:

Back