56cm Slim Chance

sancho

Senior Retro Guru
Don't see these on ebay very often:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Vintage-Fat-Ci ... 1e5acc92d4

I wonder if it's a True Temper-tubed Chris Chance (which came after the Slim). Those dropouts definitely aren't like the horizontal dropouts on the Columbus TSX Slim. In fact, they remind me of the G.P. Wilson dropouts on the Team Comp.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
oh, that is nice :)

wonder if he'll end up squirreling it away again; sounds like the reserve might be high.

Do roadies appreciate these bikes as much as mtb'ers?

GoldenEraMTB":221l0bog said:

The ones who have them do. ;)

Honestly, the ride and craftsmanship is fantastic, but most of the roadies I know are into either vintage Italian steel or really high end modern carbon stuff. I suspect most of the people who lust after tig-welded American road bikes like this are retro mtb fans.

sancho":gvqmkwfl said:
GoldenEraMTB":gvqmkwfl said:

The ones who have them do. ;)

Honestly, the ride and craftsmanship is fantastic, but most of the roadies I know are into either vintage Italian steel or really high end modern carbon stuff. I suspect most of the people who lust after tig-welded American road bikes like this are retro mtb fans.

makes sense.

This one is just a bit tall, but I've never owned a proper road bike. Perhaps I'm sizing myself wrong for them.

GoldenEraMTB":lvkwx0tg said:
This one is just a bit tall, but I've never owned a proper road bike. Perhaps I'm sizing myself wrong for them.

I go by top tube length more than the seat tube length.

To give you a point of reference, I'm 5'9" with short legs and a long torso, but the top tube on that Slim is 57cm, which is too long for me.

Generally, the top tubes on my road bikes are about an inch shorter than the top tubes on my mtbs. For the latter I usually ride a 22" or 22.5" top tube with a 135 or 120 stem, respectively, which comes out to about 27.2" when you add the two together.

With road bikes I'm most comfortable riding a frame with 54cm (21.3") top tube with a 120 stem or 55cm (21.7") tt with a 110 stem, (which comes out to 26"). Of course, you're stretched out more on a road bike since your hands sit about 4" inches from the center of the stem when they're on the brake hoods.

Incidentally, the really interesting thing about this particular Slim (aside from the team paint scheme and unusual dropouts) is that box fork. Most of the Slims I've seen have a unicrown fork or, less often, a segmented fork that looks like a curved BOI. I don't know how the serial numbers run for Slims, but I suspect this one may be a late 80s or very early 90s model. Or, it's a custom model. The sigs on the card may provide some clues.

I'm still puzzled why nobody here jumped on the 56 Salsa that popped up a couple of weeks ago.

sancho":2g4woz5u said:
GoldenEraMTB":2g4woz5u said:

I go by top tube length more than the seat tube length.

To give you a point of reference, I'm 5'9" with short legs and a long torso, but the top tube on that Slim is 57cm, which is too long for me.

Generally, the top tubes on my road bikes are about an inch shorter than the top tubes on my mtbs. For the latter I usually ride a 22" or 22.5" top tube with a 135 or 120 stem, respectively, which comes out to about 27.2" when you add the two together.

With road bikes I'm most comfortable riding a frame with 54cm (21.3") top tube with a 120 stem or 55cm (21.7") tt with a 110 stem, (which comes out to 26"). Of course, you're stretched out more on a road bike since your hands sit about 4" inches from the center of the stem when they're on the brake hoods.

Incidentally, the really interesting thing about this particular Slim (aside from the team paint scheme and unusual dropouts) is that box fork. Most of the Slims I've seen have a unicrown fork or, less often, a segmented fork that looks like a curved BOI. I don't know how the serial numbers run for Slims, but I suspect this one may be a late 80s or very early 90s model. Or, it's a custom model. The sigs on the card may provide some clues.

awesome; thanks for that :)

Nice frame. Inglehart welded, hope it was when his eyes were still good.

sancho":2dupi5zc said:

I'm quite into my road and mtb. Before I started getting more into the road stuff this would've appealed strongly to me (in fact was actively looking for a slim at one point). Now however I'd sooner have something european and steel (or even a US builder with a stronger road background) over this. Nice as it is.

I emailed the seller about the dropouts and it turns out they are in fact Wilson stainless dropouts. Very unique. The winner should email Igleheart to find out what the story is with this frame and fork.

Back